Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Myy 19 year old daughter just came home with.....

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM
  • 17 Replies

My 19-yr-old daughter went out a few hours ago...that's typical for her - she's always busy with school, friends, etc.

She just came home with BLUE hair.  LOL  Not the 'old lady' washed-out blue/grey tint....I'm talking BRIGHT, ROYAL BLUE.  Full-head - not highlights or tips....the whole thing.  LOL

She's been talking about doing it for a while now...she  got an internship/job for the summer at a theatre and had been waiting to hear back from them about any 'appearahce policy' they might have (the theatre she worked at last summer would not allow unnatural-colored hair) -- she did tell DH and I that she got the 'go ahead' on any haircolor she wanted a few days ago....I guess that's all she was waiting for.

The color doesn't bother me at all...this is very much _her_.  I'm the one who took her for her first set of highlights when she was 11.5 -- she got fire-engine-red thick stripes around her whole head that day.  She's been restricted with her hair color choices for a while because of school and jobs.  She's a 19-yr-old junior in college now...so she's old enough to make choices like this for herself - I'm not going to complain.  She's a great kid - does well in school - works hard - and is even finishing her entire degree in 3 years of college (she started this past fall semester as a sophomore and will end this spring semester as a senior).

Should make for some interesting reactions from extended family though.  LOL

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM

thats cool :) I love youngens who express themselves like that! I'm so opposite my mom. Even at 31 years old she would scold me for bright blue hair lol

myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I like blue! Its good to hear she is moving forthwith. Her education. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm 38 and I'm sure that _I_ will get a lecturee from my father about _my daughter's_ hair.  LOL  Oh well...it isn't up to him to decide what is ok for my daughter....heck it isn't even up to ME to decide - she's 19, she's an adult.  I am here for advice to her - not to dictate what she can and cannot do.

Quoting Owl_Feather:

thats cool :) I love youngens who express themselves like that! I'm so opposite my mom. Even at 31 years old she would scold me for bright blue hair lol

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I am a firm believer of picking and choosing when to be upset and when to let things go.  Hair is a harmless area and in most cases holds no significance on the rest of ones life. 

Your daughter sounds wise enough to know when her hair will cause issues with her life and when it's fine to do as she pleases.  She sounds like a smart, mature person so if she were my child I wouldn't worry either.

goddess829
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this

My mom always said, "If that's the worst thing you're going to do, here's the dye." 

Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Each their own. Lol. Honestly I have always wanted pink hair. Or at least some highlights. And if kids do well otherwise I don't see a problem with it. As long as it isn't obscene my kid will dress how he wants. I hated it when my parents continually vetoed my clothing choices when I was a tern. And I dressed relatively plain. I got my hair cut in my own one day. Short layered. My Mom had a cow. Took me to her stylist and got me this old lady cut until it grew out. I was 15. Ugh.
sammyze
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

How fun! Now's the time in her life to do it. Glad you're enjoying her.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM
That's great. :)

Quoting goddess829:

My mom always said, "If that's the worst thing you're going to do, here's the dye." 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by Crystal on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Ummm ok
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM
There are worse things. Glad she was responsible about it being ok ith her job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)