Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on mother-in-law from h***

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM
  • 8 Replies
Ok so a little bit of background on my mother in law. I have only known my MIL for about 2 years. When my husband was younger she was abusive so he had no contact with her. When I became pregnent with our son we tried giving her another chance. She was good for a while, then when my husband was on a deployment we paid for my MIL to come to my sons first birthday. Well she went crazy and tried kidnapping my son. Then she acts like nothing happened and never even said she did something wrong. Now almost a year later we are moving back to his hometown.

Ok now the current problem, we have a rule in our house that our son only gets two toys a month. That way he won't get soiled and have an attitude. I told my MIL and she out right said she does not have to follow my house rules. Its not that I'm not grateful for her getting him things. What upsets me is she has no respect for me or what I say.

Sorry its so long. The question is am I overreacting about everything. I dont trust her because of what she did last year.
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
chinosruca
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM
2 moms liked this
Why would she be allowed near your child if she tried to kidnap him? I would have a restraining order on her & she absolutely WOULD do as I say when it comes to my kids.

I don't see how getting more than 2 toys a month will cause a child to be spoiled & have an attitude. Both of my kids get more than 2 toys in a month (not every single month) and neither of them are spoiled or have attitudes (other than my 8 year old over homework sometimes). Having "stuff" doesn't make a bad attitude. Not if parents teach appreciation & respect. It is also is an opportunity to teach giving & charity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree with the PP. if she tried to kidnap him wtf is she doing around him at all??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
panther79
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:49 AM

If she's that much of a problem i'd avoid her as much as I could that way she's not around your child either.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:28 AM
Definitely!

Quoting panther79:

If she's that much of a problem i'd avoid her as much as I could that way she's not around your child either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingmommywife
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:31 AM
I agree with everyone Why have her around then? Special if she tried kidnapping him? Forget that she would have nothing to do with me or my son. Sorry. Jmo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brlee1115
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM

If she tried to kidnap your son, why in the hell is she in your home? Did you have a choice to move elsewhere, or did you have to move back to your hometown?

I think she's trying to make up where she screwed up. Giving her grandson toys makes up for that. My mom wasn't abusive, but men were more important. So, she would buy us things to "make up" for her mistakes.

Wantingapproval
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM
I wouldn't trust her either. My MiL just calls me fat and tellse to get a job when I'm Ill. If I could work I would love to. It sounds like she's trying to over rule your decisions. Stand your ground!
boricua3177
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Quoting chinosruca:

Why would she be allowed near your child if she tried to kidnap him? I would have a restraining order on her & she absolutely WOULD do as I say when it comes to my kids.

I don't see how getting more than 2 toys a month will cause a child to be spoiled & have an attitude. Both of my kids get more than 2 toys in a month (not every single month) and neither of them are spoiled or have attitudes (other than my 8 year old over homework sometimes). Having "stuff" doesn't make a bad attitude. Not if parents teach appreciation & respect. It is also is an opportunity to teach giving & charity.

This 100%....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)