Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Pacifier

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM
  • 31 Replies

When do you think a baby should stop using a pacifier? Please, I don't need to hear that a baby should never use one, that's not my question. LOL. My daughter loves hers and it works like a charm. I just want to be sure I'm not doing any damage to teeth that might come up, etc. She's three months on Thursday.

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
torismom34
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter used one right up until she was around a year old... I think... LOL... She also just stopped using it on her own. We cut down on the times she could have it until it was just for naps and bedtime, then even that eventually stopped. It didn't do any damage to her teeth at all, and as long as you make sure she had the right size, ie: not using a newborn one for a 8 month old, I think you will be alright. Good luck! And let me just say it is better than letting them suck their thumbs. My step daughter sucked her thumb till she was 9 years old when the dentist finally came up with a solution of wrapping her thumbs in a LOT of gauze every night before she went to bed.  After two weeks, she was cured, but then came the dental bills... ugh...  Good Luck!!!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:04 AM

My DD used hers right until she turned 1 too.  She only ever used it at nap time and bed time.  She doesn't have any problems with her teeth.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Most children around one is appropriate. My DS has sensory issues and so he still sleeps with his.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maidjillian
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My now 5 year old son used one until he was 19 months old.  His teeth are FINE!  My 2 yr old (he turned 2 in Feb) still uses his at naptime and at night.  I FINALLY got him to stop wanting it all day long.  It's hard cause I do in home daycare and there's a baby here who uses one too. Personally, I think he is too old and I am doing my best to taper him off.

3 months is not too old for a binky!  I think you'll find that most people will say 12 months.

judahsmommy80
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM
My daughter stopped using hers at 9 months. She loved it until one day she just wouldn't take it...it was weird. She switched from paci to blankie...all on her own. My 7 month old son uses his soothie paci to chew on more than suck on...lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RayneofTerror
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:37 AM
Both mine stopped on there own at about 7 months. But their dentist and pedi both said a year. I think a pei you trust would have the best advice. :)
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Pacifiers today are made in a way that protects the teeth from being mis-alligned (actually - pacifiers for the last 20+ years have been made to NOT damage teeth).

My oldest used a pacifier until around her first birthday.  Then it was limited to 'at home only' -- once she was 2 she was only allowed to use it in her bed.  She finally kicked the habit when she was about 2.5 years old.  She has NEVER needed braces, etc and has perfect teeth - she's 19 years old.

BeckyP.
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
You're not going to do ANY damage to her permanent teeth. Her deciduous teeth may slant out due to the pacifier but it will have no effect on permanent teeth unless she has it when she is six+. I know this because before I was a SAHM I was an Orthodontic assistant and heard this ? All the time from parents. My son is just over 2 and still has his but it has limits; only at nap/night time. It will be gone by 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM

At 3 months of age, you have quite some time before you really need to worry about this.  Personally, I wouldn't even be slightly concerned until 12 mo of age.

Each child is going to be different as to when they are ready to give it up.  My older son gave his up at 6 mo which I thought was early.  My younger son was still firmly attached to his when he turned 2 years old.  But with both of them, when they started showing less interest in using them, that's when I took the opportunity and gently nudged them towards getting rid of them.  I'm an advocate of letting the child let you know when they are ready.  We had to nudge a lot more with our younger one but we did it slowly and he suffered no ill effects from the weaning of the paci.  And both my boys have been to the dentist in recent years and there are no ill effects from their paci use.

mommybug77
by Crystal on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM
None of my kids ever really cared for one so I never had this issue. I say 1
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)