Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should babysitters do?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM
  • 580 Replies
2 moms liked this
My friend and i are having a friendly debate about the responsibility of babysitters. In my opinion they are there to watch your children. And in her opnion they should also pick up after your children and wash any dishes they or your children use while in there care. I think that if you want your sitter to act as a maid and a housekeeper that should be discussed before they are hired and there wage should reflect that. she says " its a given"... what do you think?
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trulyblessed618
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM
51 moms liked this
Well when I use to babysitt I always picked up and cleaned the dishes. I think top priority is the safety of the children and whenever possible eveything else... I feel it is a given.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SDarvasi
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM
55 moms liked this

I think part of the responsibility of being a babysitter is to esentially be paid for doing what the mother would do for them, minus the household chores and dinner.

But it's only common sense to clean up after them while you're watching them for the day. Not to compare, but in a caregiving frame of mind, would you have someone walk your dog but leave their doggy poop on the grass outside in a park?

If your child was in the care of someone, and spilled milk all over the floor or peed in the bed or took every last single toy off the shelf and left it on the floor.....wouldn't you want to not have to come home to clean up the laready dried milk, throw the sheets and blanket in the washer and clean up all the toys if you didn't trip on them first???

I wouldn't expect my babysitter to do my weekly chores, like clean the bathroom or kitchen, go grocery shopping or do my weekly laundry. But if they're there, and a mess happens, clean it up. It's only fair.

And no, extra $$$ should only be paid if they go above and beyond, such as longer hours or travel time or gas contribution or taking care of your pets too.

rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM
5 moms liked this

I think they should adbid to your rules. When I was a baby sitter their rules were when he took a toy out he had to put it back before playing with another. So I did a lot of clean up with him. I often cleaned up toys, snacks, etc. I didn't often have him during dinner or lunch I was in school but I would clean anything that needed it that I used while there for him. 

I would hope that a baby sitter (if I ever allowed one) would do things similar. Make sure my son's mess doesn't get out of control and that he picks up and not leave me a ton of dishes especially if they made any laying in the sink. I'm not asking them to do MY dishes or clean up any of my mess or mess previously there to them getting there though! Thats my job. 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM
5 moms liked this
Is this an occasional sitter or a daily caretaker? If occasional I would say cleaning up of toys but not dishes. Although I did clean them when I was a babysitter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 24, 2012 at 6:43 AM
15 moms liked this

Babysitters area hired to keep an eye on....and entertain....the kids - not to clean the house.

Now - if the babysitter is staying for an extended period and the parents aren't there - then, yes, they should clean up/do dishes/etc....but not a babysitter just hired for a few hours .

Sunshine257
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 6:45 AM
2 moms liked this
It wouldn't bother me either way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KCayea
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM
3 moms liked this

well i mean if they trash my kitchen i'd have a chat with them the next time. but a couple dishes in the sink is no biggie. glasses maybe a bowl from pop corn. whatever. but what i do expect is for them to not be in there cell phone or fb on there phone the whole time they are watching my kids

later.tater
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:28 AM
11 moms liked this
When I babysat, I washed the dishes that we dirtied (like if a made them dinner) and occasionally whatever else was in the sink. I would also clean up any messes the children made in my care or direct them to do it. It was a given.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmaliaD
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:40 AM
3 moms liked this

"their" wage = (you mean...)

i think its expected that they dont trash your home.   if they do the dishes - thats nice - i would expect them to at least put the dish in the sink and rinse it.   like i would expect of my dh or son.   i also agree if you want them to clean - its fine - just tell them and pay them for it - i sat for ppl that wanted me to do their laundry because basicly their kids would sleep most of the time i was there.  but they paid me very well.  

Izzies_Mom
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM
19 moms liked this

It's not a given...sorry.  The parent needs to make it clear what he/she expects from the babysitter.  Picking up, sure...anything beyond that, no.  The parent and sitter need to have their expectations (pay and duties) laid out in the open.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)