Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

what should babysitters do?

Posted by   + Show Post
My friend and i are having a friendly debate about the responsibility of babysitters. In my opinion they are there to watch your children. And in her opnion they should also pick up after your children and wash any dishes they or your children use while in there care. I think that if you want your sitter to act as a maid and a housekeeper that should be discussed before they are hired and there wage should reflect that. she says " its a given"... what do you think?
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
shaunadale
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this

I do not expect teenage babysitters to clean. I want them 100% focused on my children. Now, we do use a professional nanny most often and she always picks up their rooms and puts dishes in the dishwasher, but then we pay her $12/hr. The highschooler gets $7-8/hr. It's not a given IMO.

Tea4Tas
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM

My children were watched by a sitter in her home. I fully expected she would clean up after the meals she served them. I did not expect, nor did she do, any of her own home cleaning while she was being paid to watch my children.

She did do laundry during nap time, and as the kids got older she incorporated it, and cooking into the lesson plans she was using with her child (and mine)

When I was a sitter, I would make dinner, put the dishes in the dishwasher afterwards, and tidy up any messes the kids didn't.  Roys played with outside were returned when they were done being used.

Basically the parents came back to a house the way they left it.

MomofNikki2010
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Making sure and helping the kids to pick up their toys is a must. So is at least rinsing the dishes.

Grocery shopping, laundry, vacuuming are all add ons that should be discussed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAH2x
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

A babysitter should not be expected to do anything past putting the dirty dishes in the sink or to help the kids put the toys they used away. A nanny would be responsible for what your friend wants done and they get paid a lot more to do so.

Saille717
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

When I was a teen and babysitting outside the family, I would generally leave things as I found them.  If the sink was full of dirty dishes then I'd rinse the ones I used and add them in.  If the sink was empty I'd wash what I used.  If the house was a disaster when I got there then I wasn't about to be their maid, but if it was all clean and tidy I'd make sure it got that way again before the parents got home.  

It was usually a case of clean and tidy and I'd tidy up after the kid/s went to bed.  

CDMelty
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I expect my sitters to watch/play with the kids, not clean up. I don't care if I come home to supper dishes or whatever (and if I have them sit during a mealtime I leave a box or 2 of mac and cheese for them to make) as long as the kids were taken care of.

Saille717
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I babysit full time, or if I'm trying to sound like a grown up "I provide private day care."  lol!  This is in my own home and I do all my normal household cleaning and whatnot with the little one around.  He loves to help....one of his favorite things is to vaccum :-)  

When my son was younger and I used to hire the neighbor's kids to watch him I never expected them to do anything other than watch my son.  However, they always had the place spotless when I came home, even including doing dishes *I* left!  And as a consequence I always paid very well and went to them first when I needed a sitter.  

VioletPlacebo
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I think a babysitter should be responsible for having the kids clean up their own messes, or if they are too young to do so, she should clean up after them. Dishes should at least go in the sink/dishwasher if not be washed. I always washed dishes and cleaned up after the kids when I was a teen and babysat regularly.  Basically the house should look as it did (or better) when the parents left. 

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I want any babysitter I have to focus solely on my child.They shouldn't have to clean the house up or do dishes.My child is old enough to pick up her own toys so I guess I would expect the babysitter to remind my child that she needs to pick up her stuff.

in love                           blowing bubbles

Nathan & Tracey 06.12.99             Grace 10.10.03

BonitaM
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

The babysitter is there to care for the children but if the kids made a mess while the sitter is watching them, then yes, it's her responsibility to clean up that mess and the children if they need it too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)