Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

what should babysitters do?

Posted by   + Show Post
My friend and i are having a friendly debate about the responsibility of babysitters. In my opinion they are there to watch your children. And in her opnion they should also pick up after your children and wash any dishes they or your children use while in there care. I think that if you want your sitter to act as a maid and a housekeeper that should be discussed before they are hired and there wage should reflect that. she says " its a given"... what do you think?
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
nurbabe82
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Quoting e-doolittle:

Is this an occasional sitter or a daily caretaker? If occasional I would say cleaning up of toys but not dishes. Although I did clean them when I was a babysitter

KairisMama
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I think they are there to watch the children and keep them safe. It is NOT their job to clean your dishes and stuff. I once babysat for a family (AGE 17), and she told me to do their dinner dishes when they went to bed. I didn't even eat there. lol I did one CRAPPY cleaning job. :P

all4Him999
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Top priority is that the kids are safe and have a lot of fun.  Usually, that means a mess.  If the sitter cleaned up, I tip very well.  

Jill-The-Pill
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I would expect a nanny to do the childrens' laundry, dishes, etc. A baby-sitter who is there for the evening once in a while, though, no way. In that situation, I would expect that a mess made while the babysitter is there would be taken care of, but, like others have said, the babysitter is there to watch the children, not do chores.

olliesmommy2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I babysit for a 6 year old girl, and i treat her like my own child. I ask her about her day at school, make her a snack, play. And i make her put up her jacket and backpack after school, wash her hands, pick up her toys if shes done playing with them. I will rinse any dishes i use, but she has a dishwasher, and i dont want to mess with it. But i think the main point, is we discussed what was expected of me before i started. And just because i want to, sometimes i vacume, or do other random chores.

Jessiejem
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:22 PM

All of those things should be discussed prior to hiring, like any other job the employee should know what the job entails

It is important to lay out all expectations so both parties know what the other wants. For me , I have a live out nanny who works 730-530 . The only thing I requested in addition to the care for my children is their laundry . If she cleans up after them , that's  great but I didn't ask her to when I hired her . Id rather her focus her attention on my children then cleaning my house. Would it be nice if she took the initiative and put away their toys ect , yes , but she does such a good job caring for them and I trust her ,  that I don't want to nitpick , but that's just my way.

storkradio193
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I think putting away toys that were taken while in the care of the babysitter is reasonible, but I would not expect dishes to be done.  Some babysitters will do dishes after the kids go to bed.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

HTLoveMyBoys
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM

When I was in high school I babysat for a family and a couple times a week I would be there during dinner hour so I would make the kids dinner and then clean up afterwards. I wouldn't have felt right leaving a mess I made for the parents to clean up. I expect the same from my sitters but it's rare that we have a sitter that isn't my oldest.

Rhiannon1980
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM
I agree with you as long as they at least put them in the sink or dishwasher. But is you pay them a little extra to do other things around the house then j would exspect them to do those things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_29
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I think if you want your sitter to be a maid beyond the dishes and toys being picked up then it should be discussed. I also think making sure dinner dishes and kids toys picked up would be a good thing though because you dont want to come home from work with your house trashed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN