Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

what should babysitters do?

Posted by   + Show Post
My friend and i are having a friendly debate about the responsibility of babysitters. In my opinion they are there to watch your children. And in her opnion they should also pick up after your children and wash any dishes they or your children use while in there care. I think that if you want your sitter to act as a maid and a housekeeper that should be discussed before they are hired and there wage should reflect that. she says " its a given"... what do you think?
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Replies (531-540):
MamaGlitterBug
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM
It's a given to do "maintenance cleaning" such as having kids or babysitter does the toys they played with and dishes used while in their care.
mamatobe2012
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM
When I was babysitter I would clean up after the child aswell as myself.... I feel if ur going to go into someone else's house and eat there food use their dishes it should be given on the babysitter to be respectful and clean up after yourself.
kbkb42360
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM

my 23 year-old daughter works as a Nanny for a family with 3 children,and her duties include cleaning their house and doing their laundry,AND picking up after the children,did I mention she earns $30.00 per day? I agree that when you hire a Nanny/ babysitter,their duties should be just to watch,tend to and care for and play with the children.....you should hire a house-keeper or at LEAST pay her EXTRA...PLEASE..As you can tell,this subject gets me really worked up...

tierneylv
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Common curtesy - which is lacking much in our society - states that you clean up after yourself.  If the babysitter used dishes, I would expect them to at least be put in the diswasher.  I don't expect her to be a maid, but I do expect the babysitter to leave the house in a similar condition as when I left it.

Caitlinsmom09
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I think her top priority is the kids. But if a kid spills a drink or something like that, she should clean it up and not leave it lying there until the parent gets home.

mamaistheword87
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

a baby sitter is not a maid

im_not_trollin
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I expect our sitter to either clean up after the kids or enforce them cleaning up after themselves....

StephanieOneal
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM

When I babysat I would pick up and do dishes, but only because it would drive me crazy to have things not in the proper place, on the flip side, it would drive me even crazier if someone came into my home and and tried to clean it, i would appreciate the gesture, and express my thanks but I would just do it over my own way when they left. ButI guess its just all about personal preference.

moroccanmommy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Watch the kids and play with kids help kids pickup there own mess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tuzyae
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM
I would expect a sitter to watch the kids/play with them/keep them safe first and foremost. They should tidy up after the kids and/or have the kids help according to house rules. That would include putting away books, toys, games, etc. I'd expect dishes used to be placed in the sink, but not washed. If the kiddos were sleeping for a good deal of the time, I may consider asking the sitter to clean dishes, do laundry, or vacuum depending on the situation, but I'd pay extra. This is how it worked when I baby sat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)