• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do? Updated

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

We had a stray cat have kittens under our back porch. We were excited about it. Getting to watch the babies grow and possibly keeping one of them when they got old enough. Momma is young and wild. We can not get close to her at all, but we check on the babies every day to see how they are doing. She had five of them. They were born last Saturday, the 21st.

Now the problem is that 3 of the kittens have already died. I don't know why. I don't know if there was something wrong with them or of she is not caring for them properly. One died Monday and when we checked on them this morning two more were dead.

What would you do. I am a sahm and have the ability to nurse the remaining two. Should we take the last two and feed them and keep them. Or should we leave them with their mother and pray that they survive. We would love to keep one of them. I am afraid that either they are going to die or she is going to move them so that we can't find them again. I have removed and buried the ones that didn't make it. Hoping that she wouldn't move the remaining ones, but I do know that there is still a possibility that she will.

Any suggestions? What would you mommies do?

Update.

The decision was made for us. Momma abandoned them so we have brought them in. I managed to get them to eat some this morning. I have been able to get them to potty but I will keep trying.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

BUMP!

AmyG1976
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM

we lived on a farm for years had this happen plently of times we always left the babies alone for the mom to care for until they were around 9-12 weeks old then we found them homes. sometimes some died not often though, her kittens may have something wrong with them? The only time we took them in and bottle them with kitten milk was when we found the mom dead in the road.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 5 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

MixedCooke
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I would take them both in and nurse them to health, decide which I want to keep and when they get old enough, try and find the other one a home.

sheena696
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:50 AM
I personally would leave them with their momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourpassion
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:53 AM
I'd leave them with their mother. Let nature take its course.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatmynameagain
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:58 AM
I would leave them for fear they may be sick since mama kitty is feral.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:02 AM

If you take them, you need to know things like you have to take them to a littter box and massage their butts and private areas with a wet washcloth in order for them to releive themselves...failing to know things like that could cause the kittens to die. i would leave them with the Mother-and try and keep her well fed and hydrated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)