Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to this

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hello, I am a 33yr old mother of an almost 23 month old boy.  He is my only child so everything is new to me.  I am close to losing it...so I thought I would try this out for some help.  I work full time as RN which means shift-work and long 12 hour days, go to college online and try to maintain a family atmosphere for my son and husband and oh my 2 attention seeking dogs.  My son is always happy, people comment about how he is always smiling and laughing.  He is very good and I don't have much to complain about, I feel I am pretty lucky. However, when he does not get his way he just explodes.  For instance, when I tell him it is time to go inside, he runs away from me.  That is understandable but then a few minutes after I have warned him that we are going inside, he screams, cries and pretty much beats the crap out of me.  I put him down and just let him scream and cry until I can't take it and then I yell at him.  I know, not helpful at all.  I am not a hitter although I am not totally against it.  I have tried timeouts and he smiles at me and gets up to test me.  When he hits me I try to grab his arms and so "no" and that hitting is not nice. I am under a lot of stress and I don't know how to discipline him effectively.  I am very interactive with him.  We usually do something everyday.  I take him to classes at the library, sports classes, walks, the zoo ect.  I spend every minute with him that I am not working. I don't really have any friends to talk too about these issues, any advice would be great!!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tipstermom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I hear ya!  My son went through that same phase.  At that age, timeouts didn't always work for us either in terms of putting him in a chair and making him stay there.  We would put him in his room and usually he would calm down and play.  This way, I got to walk away from the situation before exploding.  With him, we could just close the door and he wouldn't escape but I have other mommy friends that would put up a gate.  This way, he's not just stuck sitting in a chair but still stuck in one place.  A lot of people say you shouldn't use their room or bed but that was always the best place for him to soothe himself.  No that he's almost 4, the timeout chair works and he wasn't ruined!  Good luck!  Oh and hold him outward away from you.  I find that they can't swing backwards!

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM

BUMP!

amonkeymom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Welcome!  Consistency is key.  Keep doing what you're doing and soon he'll move out of this stage.

mhmom08
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Sorry to say, that is a 2yo.  My dd is the same way.  The only thing that is working, (and keep in mind, I have to be in the right state of patience) is to calmly say to her, would you like to go to bed, she always says no, and I respond, "well, then stop it"  If she continues, then I will ask 2 more times (3 strikes your out), if she doesn't calm down, then its off to her room.  Since I've been doing this, it has not gotten to step 3.  As for the hitting, I get in her face, and firmly (no yelling) say hugs not hits.  Make her apoligize, and we move on.  Again, all this only works if I am not agitiated and can execute everything calmly.  HA, big IF!  Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)