Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

do i have the right to be upset.....

Posted by   + Show Post
I have no children of my own but I am raising my sister in laws 2 boys. Last year I didn't get a mothers day gift but my mother in law got my sister in law gifts for mothers day. I was very hurt by this. She has little to do with the boys. Should this upset me or am I over reacting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
Karen_29
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont think your over reacting. You are being mom to the boys...you should be the only one getting the mothers day stuff. giving birth does not make you the mom its the actions you take to be a mom afterwards that counts.

aunt_of_2
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I told my husband who doesn't seem to care that I was hurt by it. I can't have children so I treat the boys as my own. I have been there since day one even staying 4 days and nights in the hospital with my sil when she had the oldest. My brother in law and a few other people text me happy mothers day but nothing from the ones most important to me. The boys are very young just now 3 and 4 yrs old so they can't make anything on their own without help. Maybe this year will be different since I said something last year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM

welcomeNice to meet you! I think it would be nice to acknowledge that you do take care of them like a mother.

Mrs.Ziggy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Quoting aunt_of_2:

I told my husband who doesn't seem to care that I was hurt by it. I can't have children so I treat the boys as my own. I have been there since day one even staying 4 days and nights in the hospital with my sil when she had the oldest. My brother in law and a few other people text me happy mothers day but nothing from the ones most important to me. The boys are very young just now 3 and 4 yrs old so they can't make anything on their own without help. Maybe this year will be different since I said something last year.

You treat them as your own, or are these boys in your home actually being raised by you because those are two very, very different things.

tme4mllr
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

i'd be hurt!  but i'd also not say anything to her.  no point in getting between mom & daughter.  if hubby cares tho he could mention it to his mom for next time.  that's awesome of you to raise ur nephews btw!

AmyG1976
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

idk how I would feel really I prob would be upset your raising them and playing the mother role for them some ppl don't get what the means :(  wait was it the sil whose kids you are raising? thats kinda fed up if so

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 7 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM
She should've given you a gift too, her daughter also should have given you a gift, appreciation for raising her children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aunt_of_2
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM
They live with us we have have custody and she has visitation. I have always treated them as I would my own kids if I had them. Even b4 they lived with us.

Quoting Mrs.Ziggy:

Quoting aunt_of_2:

You treat them as your own, or are these boys in your home actually being raised by you because those are two very, very different things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by Amy on May. 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I probably would've had it "come up" in conversation with the mil and then bust out laughing and say thats funny since I'm more of a mother than she is. Or maybe your dh can "brag" to his mom about all that he is doing for you on mothers day. Make her see that you are mom to those boys.

Pukalani79
by Kris on May. 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I think I'd be upset, but you can't determine who gives a gift to who, you know.  That was last year. I think I'd let it go and if it happens again, well, there's nothing you can do about it.  Getting mad is not going to help the situation.  I read something the other day that is pretty appropriate to this - you're letting them live rent free in your head.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)