Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

If you have a teenage daughter......

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM
  • 49 Replies

At what age did you allow her to wear tampons?  This came up in a conversation I was having with other moms....  curious...

by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starchild321
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM

My oldest started when she started her period. She didn't want to wear pads so we got a starter kit from Walmart.

VioletPlacebo
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't have a teenage daughter, but I plan on using the same approach with my daughter as my mom did with me. Mom told me whenever I felt like I was ready to use them I could. It doesn't hurt to let them try if they really feel that's what they want to do. I didn't start using them until I was 17 but most of my friends started using them around 14.

Junip1977
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Quoting VioletPlacebo:

I don't have a teenage daughter, but I plan on using the same approach with my daughter as my mom did with me. Mom told me whenever I felt like I was ready to use them I could. It doesn't hurt to let them try if they really feel that's what they want to do. I didn't start using them until I was 17 but most of my friends started using them around 14.

Same here!  My daughter is 11 and I have mentioned to her the two ways she could protect herself during her periods and everytime I mention tampons she gags.  LOL  Obviously she will go with pads first I am sure. 

mamabearlehman
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM
4 moms liked this
I think it's a personal choice for her and not something you "allow". I started using tampons right away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Outrageous
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM
Ok.. thought I would ask ... a lot of her friends already uses them too ... My daughter has finally asked to use them ... she's 16 ... she never wanted to use them before so ... the funny part is going to be explaining!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on May. 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Only my 19 year old has gotten a period already....she does not use tampons - not because I don't "allow" it but because she has zero desire to use them.

Whenever my 15 and 13 year old daughters get their periods - they'll start using pads only....if they ask about tampons at some point - we'll discuss it.

workoutmom2b1g
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM

ALLOW?! Weird question to me. If she can put them in, let her wear them. Just have a long talk about why you have to take them out etc! 

NananRaysmom
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Mine is only 9....we haven't even discussed her period...but I'm not looking foward to it happening. I would let her use tampons right away...becase to me they are cleaner...more sanitary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hilary799
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

My mom said I didn't need them, because I was still growing. Plus they hurt!!! I started when I was 10. My dd 16 hates pads, so I leave it up to her. My sdd when she has her period has to use a tampon and a pad at the same time. she's 14. When youngest dd is ready, we'll discuss it then.

pink ribbonjigsaw ribbonyellow ribbon

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

My dd chose to start wearing them soon after her first period, she was 13. She hated the way pads felt and at that time she was a cheerleader and ran track.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)