Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

If you have a teenage daughter......

Posted by   + Show Post

At what age did you allow her to wear tampons?  This came up in a conversation I was having with other moms....  curious...

by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Replies (41-49):
LumpyPrincess
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter got her period at 9 but mentally wasnt ready imo to wear tamons..i just started letting her wear them last yr in the 8th grade she bleeds heavy so i felt she need something that was less uncomfortable an held more..w/o the world knowin she had entered that stage in her life

talktojonell
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM
My daughter started using them immediately once she FINALLY got her period. She was 14, played sports (aggressively) and didn't have the necessary body fat until then. Her friends and cousin had been using them already. No problem.

On the other hand my sister won't allow my niece to use them and I think it's stupid. She had to stay home from summer camp twice last year because they were going to water parks and Aunt Flo was visiting. Just dumb! Good $ left to rot and I KNOW my niece felt upset and singled out because she stayed with me those two days.

Finally, I think it's a disservice to girls to give any allowances or special rules for periods. When they grow up they have to live in the real world and function normally regardless.
christi34
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Neither one of my girls use tampons. They use pads. Alesha will be 13 on the 11th of this month and she started her period a month before she turned 10. Amber is 16 she started when she was 12.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missmissy12376
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM

My dd is 16 and I gave her the option of both from day 1, I told her that she may want to wait a couple months just to see what to expect her periods to be like, how heavy of a flow then use tampons.

Quinn525
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM
I got my period at 9. :-S

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Mine is only 9....we haven't even discussed her period...but I'm not looking foward to it happening. I would let her use tampons right away...becase to me they are cleaner...more sanitary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cutiebear_Annie
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I have a pre teen aka a tween if that counts. She has this past year gotten her period but I would allow it only when she is ready and comfortable. I would rather her stick to pads right now as she's getting used to the changes she's going through but if eventually she wants to well I say okay.

bi-polarmommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:18 AM

when she is comfortable with wearing them

i used tampons since my first cycle

bookdragon
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Neither of my girls wear them, they can cause pelvic inflamatory disease & other health issues.

Poohy1975
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

She doesn't want to use them. They scare her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)