Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
  • 443 Replies
3 moms liked this

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thecoffeefairy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM
54 moms liked this
She appears to be a normal weight to me. Furthermore it is not the schools place to tell your child she is overweight. They need to speak to you if they have a problem with your child's health.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM
22 moms liked this
Wtheck your child is not over weight. She looks like a skinny Minnie to me. They all look perfect.
I don't like bmi charts. They don't factor in a lot of stuff. Like muscle weighs more then fat and other things.
How about the schools do the teaching and leave the medical stuff to the doctors and parents. How dare they say that to a child, and we wonder why young children are now calling themselves fat and trying to "diet".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemini53176
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM
6 moms liked this

I cannot believe that they told her that she is overweight! that is crazy! I hope you call the school and say something. She is not overweight at all, she looks tall.

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM
43 moms liked this
I would be at the school raising hell for tellling my child that. She looks fine. If your dr doesn't have a problem with her weight they need to stfu.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PixieButtercup
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

All 3 of your kids look perfect to me!! That's insane that they think she's overweight!! My son is in kindergarten and had a BMI scale done earlier this year. It said he was about 4 pounds away from being underweight. If his pediatrician ever seems concerned with his weight, I'll listen. Until then....I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on May. 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this
They did the same thing to my 11 year old niece and now she is dieting!!! My niece looks thin, but has a lot of muscle because she's in gymnastics and is also a cheerleader. My sister was pissed because my nieces doctor even told her that she is fine, but she is just all muscle. It's not the school's place to be saying anything...
TableforSeven
by Judy on May. 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

My kids' school nurse does a weight/measurement on all students.  She also calculates their BMI and sends it home in a note...the paper that the BMI is cacluated on gives info on what is consdiered underweight, close to overweight and overweeight.  The papers are sent home with the students - but are stapled shut on ALL sides...the students are NOT to open them at school...my younger kids and their classmates don't care so they don't open them....the middle schoolers DO open them -(I know this becasue my daughter knew that her best friend is FINNALLY no longer considered 'underwight...she was .3 over 'underweight'  this year).  The nurse NEVER tells the kids what their BMI is...they'd have to read it to know what it said.

I'm pretty sure it is state mandated that the schools measure BMI here....at least for elementary-school aged kids...not sure about public miuddle school (the school my younger kids attend is for PK through 8th grade...so they do everything for middle school that they would do for elementary school.....my high schooler was not given her BMI at her public high school).

quietsmilie
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has come home from school insisting that he cannot eat fatty foods - he's severely underweight and on a high-fat diet from his doctors and nutritionist!  GRRR.... I understand that there are overweight kids, but concerns should be raised to the parent and foods should not be labeled "GOOD" and "BAD" (although lots of fruits and veggies is definitely on the good side).

Threes.Company
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

That's disgusting.  She is certainly not overweight.  Does their chart only factor in age and weight?  Was height factored in too?  She does not look even remotely overweight to me.

Cordysmommy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM
9 moms liked this

All of your kids are gorgeous and look healthy.  BMI is not a good measurement anyway, especially not for little ones.  I would be having words with the school.  I would not stop until whoever it was at the school that told her that apologized and explained to her that they were wrong and that she is not overweight.  I would also make sure that she hears he doctor and nurse say that her weight is healthy the next time she has a visit.  If it becomes a problem then have the doctor explain to her the difference between muscle and fat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)