Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (101-110):
kngarber
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Oh my word I would be livid.  WOW!  She looks PERFECT!

robsgurl_23
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM

the school was wrong for saying that to your child or any child. Your child looks fine

gem_mommie
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Stupid damn school. You need to do something about what they did, Mama. I don't know what, exactly...but something. No school should ever EVER complete anything health related without a parents conscent. That's just crazy. We don't say "fat" in our home, we don't say "diet"...if my daughter even sucks her tummy in to put on jeans (she's 5 and goes through weird growth spurts where shell have a little bit of tummy then suddenly shoots up and gets too skinny for the clothes that JUST fit) I tell her...don't ever do that, if something has become too small we'll get new...but you're beautiful right where you are, just as God has made you. My kids know what's healthy and what isn't and that a good balance is important. Your daughter has a GREAT shape...there are other children who will be heavier BUT HEALTHY and there are others who will be heavier and unhealthy...but the school shouldn't be directing any of that to the children. If they conducted a BMI chart and had concerns, they should have made arrangements to contact and meet with parents, not give the info to children in elementary school. Frikkin idiots!! >=\
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ARmomOf3
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

oh my god. no wonder so many girls have eating disorders

sqrocket
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I think schools should stop doing BMI screenings. This is something that should be done at a doctor's office and is not something that should be happening in schools. Also, your daughter looks great. I don't think she is overweight at all.

slinkerpon11
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM
The wic office told me both of my kids are over weight. The day before they had well check at their ped. Dr said dd was a great weight for her height and was concerned about my ds's weight. He wanted him to GAIN weight. I ebf and he wanted to start supplementing. they are always 95% and up for height. If you took just their weight and didn't consider their height you could say they are over weight, but neither are. So I only listen to my ped when it comes to their health.
TinkerbellFairy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I can completely relate to your situation. I have 3 older girls, 2 are total skinny minnies and my 2nd child is thick and solid, but not fat. Her old pediatrician told me the SAME thing. She's in the 90th percentile or whatever. They never gave me her BMI, but the pediatrician was all maybe you need to monitor her food. I was like WTF?! She barely eats, shes to picky and she's always running around. And like you daughter she fits in her age appropriate clothing. In today's society everyone is worried about weight and I know for a fact they have changed their "versions" of weight classification. IF you went off my weight, I'd be considered, in the doctors eyes, morbidly obese. Now thats heartbreaking!! I, like my 2nd child, am thick and solid and you would never think that if you saw me. I had one friend, ONE, who saw my weight. My own husband doesnt even know how much I weigh, and she was in complete shock. She was like no way. SO these doctors/health people/school, need to take everything in consideration. I think you have every right to be upset about it. I would keep doing what you're doing and ignore them unless you physically start seeing weight pile on and clothing don't fit. My daughter runs around the house saying she's fat..but she's all proud of it. I tell her she's not fat and I constantly remind her that she'e healthy and that she needs to eat right and stay active. I don't want any of my girls developing an eating disorder. I know what you mean..I pray I just teach them right about food. I know you got your family health matters handle!!!! :)

rebekahmuse
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I think that's horrible that the school did that. They told my nephew that too in school and I'm sure they would tell my son the same thing. Not because they are actually overweight, but my hubby's side of the family is VERY muscular and the kids naturally are very dense. My son is higher on the weight charts but he's not pudgy at all, just solid as a rock. I think that it's a good idea for parents to have an idea because some kids they do need to keep an eye on. They should in no way tell the kids though anything about it and let that be up to the parents though.

teal.blaze
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM

You're poor little girl! She looks healthy as can be (and all of  your kids are adorable btw!). I would take her to the doctor, and have them tell her how healthy she is, and that the school didn't know what they're talking about because they are NOT medical doctors.

MamatoKy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM

They dont do that our schools. And shouldnt do it at all. Its not their place to tell you whether your child is overweight or not. They are a school, they are there to teach, math, science, reading and such, not worry about your childs health. And the only reason they should worry, is if, they are hoarding food because you are starving them at home, extrememly overweight(and your packing them nutty bars, pizza, and soda for lunch) and even then it should not mentioned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN