Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (111-120):
EsmeVincent
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

she is NOT overweight at all!  Honestly I don't know what I would do...I think my first thing would be to go up to the school and find out WHY they decided to tell a 1st grader that she was fat when they should know you can't go by BMI.  I would explain to her that BMI doesn't really mean much and if she was that upset I would take her to the dr and let them explain to her how much BS the BMI chart is. 

GMom2011
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Mommy4two:

I hate to say this but alot more children are classified overweight and or obess then every before and we are to the point that parents are going to out live their children it's sad... What kind of foods do you eat? What do you drink? While these may sound like no big deal questions you'd be surprised at how much crap we put into our bodies when we don't think about it...

did you look at the picture of the child? She is OBVIOUSLY not overweight at all. And she's very active. Your comment in relation to this child doesn't make any sense.

shimmifairy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I wish that schools,gyms,weight loss centers and people afflilated with things like insurance companies would stop using the BMI scale....there are too many variables that it doesn't consider....like muscle! My daughter is also a solid girl and because of that she weighs more than someone else her size that might be less solid....But I would rather have a child who weighs more and is made of muscle than a child who weighs less and is mostly flab over a slender frame, KWIM?

Your daughter is fine, she isn't fat, she's fit :)

kaymy32
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM

She is most definitely not over weight, my sister looked the same at that age. The school had no right to tell her that regardless of what tests they have to do. they could have done the test and just simply sent it home. I don't believe she will develop an eating disorder unless its really been or is being drilled into her head that she is over weight. The bmi testing and other physical exams done at school are usually mandatory either by the state or just the district but like i said they had no right to say that to her. 

jessi2girls
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

she DOES NOT look over weight..

the fact that the school said she was overweight to her like that, is just wrong!

I understand that they check BMI, etc.. but that's topics best left to discuss with parents! And really should be something done by their pediatricians, not the school nurse!

Your daughter looks perfectly normal and like a very pretty little girl.. I would DEFINITELY be calling the school about the way this was discussed to your daughter!

Jaimeebugg
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I'm thinking lawyer! ASAP
ameliacaldeira
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM

maybe you should find a BMI chart online and redo the results. I DOUBT the one they did could be correct, and if it was and there WAS an issue, your pediatrition would have said something by now. 

maybe the school did the excersize to show the parents of the OTHER kids that they need to step up for their children who NEED that kind of help. your little ones should not be on any list like that.

as well as i see all negitives on telling a bunch of little 1st graders about 'being fat'. they are ASKING for trouble- from upset parents to later disorders

how irresponsible

MsCoupon
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I have a 1st  grader too and they school just sent me a letter stating my child was fat basically bcuz of BMI chart and I got the letter after I had taken her to a well check and her dr. told me she is fine and is above average on both height n weight. So I have when schools think they know everything about your child. Just fucking pisses me off.

HisB0107
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I would march straight to that damn school and give them an earfull! They have NO right putting that BS into a young girls head. And no, she looks perfectly fine!

kotabearsmama
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM

They told her she was overweight?! See, THIS is what causes girls to get eating disorders in the future. That makes me mad. I'm sure you will but of course I have to say to make sure she knows that she's NOT. AT ALL. She's normal weight! She looks good and healthy! Ugh. I can't believe they'd tell her she's overweight. :\ That makes me sad. Smh. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)