Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
myfirstborn04
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM
She looks fine and healthy to me. My sons school did that last year with my1st grader. He is now in 2nd. I think that they should have let us as parents sign a consent if wedid or did not want them to do a bmi on our kids. Its realy non their business. My son is chunky. UT he is autistic and had over eating issues. He get lots of exercise and he goes to the Dr. More times than any 2nd grader I know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimers6
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Wow that is terrible! I remember having a nutrition class in 1St grade. But telling a child they are over weight is awful. I would ask why they didn't share the results with parents 1St if they felt there was a health concern.
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I would be too.  Not raising hell but having a meeting with the nurse and principal to have it stopped. My daughter is tall and has a strong athletic build.  She is in 3rd grade now but starting in about 1st grade she thought she was getting fat because most of her classmates are tiny and petite.  It was starting to get hard to get her to eat much food.  This year she was old enough to enroll her in a program at the school called Girls On The Run.  It goes over body image, nutrition, bullying, etc. and of course it's a running class.  She has flourished.  She is still concious of what she eats but she eats.

Quoting kitty8199:

I would be at the school raising hell for tellling my child that. She looks fine. If your dr doesn't have a problem wither weight they need to stfu.

Cara5
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I think you have every right to be angry and I think your concerns are valid.  Our culture teaches girls to be ashamed of their bodies and be envious of unhealthy low weights. 

I think you are right about being worried that between having an older and much tinier sister and being told by the school that shes fat that she is being set up for serious issues.  She wont see her sisters weight as a medical problem, she will see her as the pretty one no one ever calls fat.  :(  

All three of your kids are gorgeous, I hope your dd can shake this off, but id keep a close eye on it in case. 

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I volunteer at a preschool and so I'm picking up the kids all the time,some of them are just way heavier than others,they're just SOLID,but they are not chubby at all,they certainly don't look any heavier than the others.Every body is different.

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Kids today have enough body image issues. Don't give them more. Those people aren't that bright. Send a note home with the kid for the parents in a sealed envelope.

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

I would be too.  Not raising hell but having a meeting with the nurse and principal to have it stopped. My daughter is tall and has a strong athletic build.  She is in 3rd grade now but starting in about 1st grade she thought she was getting fat because most of her classmates are tiny and petite.  It was starting to get hard to get her to eat much food.  This year she was old enough to enroll her in a program at the school called Girls On The Run.  It goes over body image, nutrition, bullying, etc. and of course it's a running class.  She has flourished.  She is still concious of what she eats but she eats.

Quoting kitty8199:

I would be at the school raising hell for tellling my child that. She looks fine. If your dr doesn't have a problem wither weight they need to stfu.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junip1977
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

She definitely does not look overweight at all.  I never heard of a school checking the kids BMI's.  That is overstepping some boundaries.  I would tell your little girl that everyone is made to be unique.  She is healthy and looks beautiful!

ClassyMom619
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Thanks ;)

I did call them and their response to me was that she needed to exercise more. Are you kidding? She practices 6 days a week and does tumbling on the 7th day. Freaking idiots. This is why young girls are so worried about their weight nowadays.

Quoting Tricia1979:

She is too cute! Looks active and happy to me. Give the school hell!!!!!

Quoting ClassyMom619:

Oh please...she looks perfect! I hate when schools pull this crap with kids who don't need it. They said the same thing to my daughter who's at a very impressionable age (12.) She's a competitive cheerleader and paranoid now that she's too "fat" to be on her squad thank to the stupid school. Does she look like an 85% overweight child?

mommysplace
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I think the school is completley way off base! She looks no where near obese to me! I have a 7 y/o daughter who is in 1st grade & they look to be about the same size. Our school has put my daughter in the 50th percentile. would call them & talk with them about it. Explain to them what kind of impact this has had on your child.

Mama2ETA
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

She's not overweight, or even appears to be close! Even if she was, they have NO right to tell her! They are not physicians, or in any way have a right to tell a child she/he is overweight. Recommendations that go inside a sealed envelope to the parent may be acceptable, with teaching all of the children together how to eat healthy, and exercise. I would be having a conversation with the school next year before they do this, making a written statement that they do not have any permission to tell your children anything about their weight. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)