Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (331-340):
kaffedrikke
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM
She looks absolutely beautiful.and healthy.
MamaK313
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM
She looks perfectly healthy to me. Sometimes I think the BMI thing is a little on the ridiculous side...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sswogger
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:12 PM

All your kids look healthy to me.

LLICE
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Your daughter is beautiful & weight does not in any way appear to be an issue.

Since when does the school have the right to do medical charting on your child & what in their background qualified them to discuss your child's weight with her?  

I'd be raising hell!

campeno
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to sign off on my dd's school doing the BMI...and I declined. Not necessary for my active kids, though I do somewhat see the point. It is NOT ok to tell a young child they are overweight! IF schools are performing BMI's and plarents are on board, the nurse should be notifying the PARENT of the result. Sheesh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I see a little pudge in her tummy, but that's not over weight to me. She looks beautiful.

ImAGeorgiaPeach
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM

You're children are beautiful.  Please let them know they are healthy and they will always be healthy as long as they eat healthy food and play hard.  Tell them how much you love them everyday.  And as for that school, if you did not sign a permission slip to have any physical test done, I would sue their pants off!  They have no business performing such a test on a student, or telling a student she is fat.  Their business is education and education only.  Contact a lawyer today to find out your options.  This should not be happening in school. 

care2mom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM

There insane!!!! Not sure which one but both girls are perfect!! I would put in a complaint. What does her pediatrician say?

Lev8mysoul
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Schools should stick with teaching Math, History, Language, etc., and STOP BEING OUR KID'S PARENTS.  That's OUR job!

GagaNTattooS
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:01 AM
And that is why i sent the note telling the school no they cant check his height weight and bmi
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)