Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (371-380):
LadyNCVE
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM
That's crazy! I would contact that school SO fast! There are other ways to talk about being healthy to students! Makes me mad!!
mamadrama1
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM

people need to contact their respective legislators to have this practice stopped. Your vote at the polls this fall for a new administration will also help!!!

kimmzy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Just tell her she's PERFECT!

Madameileen
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM

She's normal.  I'd be on the verg of Law suit for mental image damage against the school.  It's unhealthy for a child to be ultra skinny.

I teach my children to be friends with overly fat children and not judge by body image.  I teach, "you never know what that kid's situation is and it may be their medication that is saving their life that makes them fat".  I also stress that that kid really needs a friend.

TinaG34
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM
She looks healthy to me. My daughter is a solid 52lbs in kinder and her brother is the bean pole. He is 11 and eats like a horse (seriously) but he only weights 58 lbs and is about 4'5" he has been told he is underweight. His dr has zero concerns and I just tell him
Everyone grows different
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mythreesonsmom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Um no!

She is not over weight.

My son was put as under weight when he was in 1st.

My pediatrician wrote them a letter stating that he was in fact not under weight and the health dept. nutritionist that they sent me to said he was not and that his meal contents were very nutritional and keep up the good work.

Those people are crazy and apparently not trained very well, as both a pediatrician and nutritionist said they were wrong.

His best friend was also told he was over weight and they only had a 4 lb. difference in their weight.

I'm sure your pediatrician will probably tell her she is perfect.

JennPearce
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM
What is wrong with your daughter's school?! She is perfect!! They better leave that to kind of teaching to professional doctors because they have no idea what they are talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacykling
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I don't think schools should be saying anything about anybodies weight. Thats your pediatricians job.

KenyaM
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM

In my opinion sue the school for emotional distress for yourself and daughter. My 5YO  son is also in the 85% percentile and I consider my puggy. However, our family doctor has always said that "he is tall for his age and his BMI is still considered normal."  My child is not obese, and eats a lot healthier than his older brother who is a horrible eater. Having a little extra weight is a good thing I think. When there is a virus at school my older skinny child takes weeks(sometime requiring antibodtics)  for him to get over it while the hefty one is usually over it in 2 days!!

denisepeace
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG!  I just wrote you a long response and lost it all before posting. I will take the time to do this again as this is an important response.

This is one of those times where you absolutely HAVE TO LIE TO YOUR LITTLE ONE!~  No Kidding.  I would tell her that you thought about it and could not see how the teacher could have told her that!  (How dare she!) Tell your daughter that you called the Department of Education in the Governers Office...,and Guess What?  Their computers were broken and many of the children received reports that had a mistake.  Then tell her you asked that her new report be looked up...They went to get it and guess what?  YOUR REPORT SAYS YOU'RE PERFECT!  NOT ONLY DOES IT SAY THAT, BUT IT ALSO SAYS YOUR BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT!~

Mom, this is really important.  Your daughter is at a very tender age and very impressionable.  You don't want her to face eating disorders down the road.  If she goes back to school and tells her teacher that "The Governers Office said her report says she's perfect....the teacher should have a clue that if she confilcts with this statement, you will report her straight to the Deparement of Ed in you state office!~

Your children are beautiful!  No doubt.  Be proud mom...you have three blessings from Heaven under you roof!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)