Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (401-410):
mirandalforcier
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Are you kidding me? She does not look over weight at all! She looks like a healthy little girl to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChristinaCheney
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM

She's beautiful and perfect.--tell her so!!!!  I think numbers at that age are skewed because there aren't that many kids that are too overweight--they are just too active.  I don't have a problem with them collecting info for research and whatnot, but the school NEVER should have told her ANYTHING about the results. Especially when she is obviously not overweight.  Hope she doesn't worry about it.

Serenity797
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Who tells a kid something like that?! Those BMI ratings are to be taken litely, never base personal health decisions on their data. I believe the scale on which they were made is outdated. Your kids are perfect. Tell the school your kid was told where she rates on that dumb thing and that is unacceptable. Kids don't understand everything that goes into being healthy. Insist they hand out pictures of the food pyramid and explain what it all means. So sorry- at least your dd told you what's on her mind and you can help her understand she's perfect :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislinn
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I have no issues with schools taking notice of the growing obesity problem amongst our kids. What I do have a problem with is sharing that information with a small child that does not know exactly how to process it. They should have taken up any concerns with you at a Parent/Teacher conference or by phone. Ridiclous. All of your kiddos are beautiful, BTW!

melanielmcgee
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM
That's rediculous she's perfect like she is.
timetogohome
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM
i would say something to the school she is not overweight shes tall and looks skinny
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
klsovereign
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Beautiful kids they look fine to me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Morrigan333
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM

That's not fat to me! She's HEALTHY looking!

mama2gg
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I do not think its proper for the school to tell HER that there is a issue that is what WE are there for...

As for her weight I cant really tell by the pics if there is a issue...

I know weight IS a issue with the younger ones cause parents think "oh they will out grow it its just baby weight" and its NOT

But I cant say this is true for your little one

Jaybo
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Measuring Body Fat

Your child's mass index (BMI) is calculated using height and weight. A health care provider can use BMI to estimate how much body fat your child has.

However, measuring body fat and diagnosing obesity in children is different than measuring these things in adults. In children:

• The amount of body fat changes with age. Because of this, a BMI is harder to interpret during puberty and periods of rapid growth.
  • Girls and boys have different amounts of body fat.

A BMI level that says a child is obese at one age may be normal for a child at a different age. To determine if a child is overweight or obese, experts compare BMI levels of children at the same age to each other. They use a special chart to decide whether a child’s weight is healthy or not.

• If a child’s BMI is higher than 85% (85 out of 100) of other children their age and sex, they are considered at risk for being overweight.

If a child’s BMI is higher than 95% (95 out of 100) of other children their age and sex, they are considered overweight or obese.

IF your child's school actually told her she was overweight, they were out of line & it's your duty as her mother to approach the school with the exact concerns you are posting here.

That aside. You also need to keep in mind a BMI of 85%, or 85 out of 100, means your child could be at risk of being overweight, it doesn't mean she is overweight now. Your daughters BMI would have to be  95% or over before she was considered overweight or obese. Someone at your daughters school gave her incorrect information when they told her she was overweight.  

BMI.. My friend and I are the same height, we both weigh the same, within 2 pounds here or there. My friend can eat as much as she wants, of whatever she wants, and never gain a pound.  If I ate whatever I wanted, of whatever I wanted, I gain pounds instantly.   Thats what they mean by some adults & children being at risk for being overweight.

You can look slim and trim, but if you don't watch your food intake, (unlike your friend, or school buddy who can eat everything) you won't be slim and trim for long.   

The next BMI your daughter has will most likely show completely different results as she's growing constantly. I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless you yourself notice your daughter gaining more weight than she should, for her height and age.  

America has the highest percentage of obese adults & children of any country. I'm in full agreement with  BMIs done at an early age, as it will help parents be aware that their children could be at risk of becoming overweight or obese. It also helps parents be aware of the foods they're feeding their children.

If you as a parent know from your childs BMI, that your child is in a percentage where he/she may be prone to gaining weight, you'll be more observent of the amount of sweets & fatty foods you bring into the home.  

It may make you angry that your child has had a BMI done at a young age, but if you stop & think about it, the test is being done to benefit your childs future health. That to me, is of the utmost importance.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)