Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
JocelynsMama1
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

i dont know what chart they were using but i dont see how she would be considered over weight...that child must be pure muscle if they were calculating it right...i would be pissed! i would go talk to the principal about the issue....first find out why they think its appropriate to tell 1st graders they are over weight....then second bring up the fact that shes clearly not over weight but now is having weight concerns....whatever teacher is doing this needs to stop it now...we didnt calculate BMI untill high school...in first grade thats just ridiculous they arent old enough to understand body fat percentage and that muscle weights more than fat 

TurtleSquish
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

schools need to focus more on education and much less on how big or small kids are. seriously? so many kids are dropping out, flunking, not even going to college and maybe it's because they focus so much energy on health...which is not their place.

your dd looks beautiful and perfect.

manda-nicole010
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

This exactly!

Quoting kitty8199:

I would be at the school raising hell for tellling my child that. She looks fine. If your dr doesn't have a problem wither weight they need to stfu.

But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear ; do not be frightened."
Take Courage
1 Peter 3:14
pipers_mom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM

The school DD went to last year told her the same thing! She was in kinder!! She's been concerned that she's "fat" ever since. We're working VERY hard on teaching her that she is NOT fat, she is normal sized and she is beautiful. I was soooooo pissed off with that school. I raised hell and was told that they didn't tell her she was "fat" just that her BMI said she was overweight.....she was fucking 6 years old...she knew overweight meant fat!! I made them apologize to her, but the damage had already been done. A year later and we're still dealing with it.

Elena-725
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Your daughter does not appear to be overweight to me and even if she was, the school had no business telling her anything of the sort!  If this were me, I'd be talking to the principal sooner rather than later.  This clearly upset your daughter and there's no way to put this horse back into the barn.  Shame on them!

blg5484
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM

when my SS started headstart they had a parent teacher confrence the first week and the big fat lady thats the admin told us "I like my food just the next person maybe a little more (we all laughed) but they have changed the way stuff is classafied if your child gets a note that they are "over weight" Its not me it this new way of doing thing"

coala
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM

She is by no means overweight. She looks healthy to me.  My niece is a solid kid and is about 90% for height and weight.  Compared to her classmates she does look on the heavy side, but I know she is proportioned.  I think the schools need to leave this alone and let the parents and the dr's handle it.  Apparently the government is better at taking care of our kids than we are!!  SMH!!!!!!

StephanieSH
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I hate BMI calculators because they don't take body frame and muscle mass into account.  We just had this problems at the doctor.  They need to look at the whole child and not just a number.  My son is 9 1/2 and slender but muscular.  Even the drs. don't believe that he weighs 90 pounds.  He is tall but he still comes out on the BMI chart as overweight and close to obese for his age.  The dr. will usually say "well he looks fine to me".  I wish they would revamp those BMI charts to take other things into consideration.

blg5484
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM

forgot to add your DD looks fine I would have a meeting with the people at teh school and tell them they need to be a little more careful what they say to impressionable kids

uirisg
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM

wow...this is wrong of the school....all your kids look healthy....i'm sorry that the school has started something out of nothing...all i can say is to be supportive and set a good example on body image.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)