Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (421-430):
jaydens_mamma21
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM
She looks fine to me. I think you should talk to the school about it their not doctors. It is like this one teacher one of my sibs had she told my parents that he had ADD, he didnt he was very intelagent for his age. My mother and my father who is a doctor ended up confronting the teacher and the princable about this. No affence to all teachers out there but stick to teaching classifing medical conditions have very serious repercossions, law suit wise. If you have concerns talk to the parents. Your child looks happy and healthly to me you should bring it up at a school board meeting and have other parents who are also having their children suffering from something they have no crap in messing with. By the way your kids are so cute.
ychavez
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM
I cannot believe that at all. First none of you are overweight... And you should really complain to the school. It's so sad now a days little kids are worrying about these things...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LunaSea97
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:22 PM

You are NOT overreacting. Shame on them for saying such things to your daughter. Your whole family looks in great shape. You have my full permission to straight up punch whoever called your daughter fat right in the face. My name is Katie. I live in Panama City. =)

beauswife
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

that is effed up for the school to even perform that type of test on a child that age! I would be at the school personally talking to everyone up there! Your daughter looks like she is in perfect health!

lruggio
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM

what the school did, is criminal.  I also have a child who has a growth hormone deficiency so I know how sensitive height and weight can be...for ANY child.  You know, I wonder if this sort of thing going on in yhe schools is violating HIPPA laws...in other words, THE PARENT was not made aware that the school was playing doctor that day. The school, in my opinion, broke HIPPA laws when they told the child...the child is not the one in charge of her healthcare yet...THE PARENT IS...I know that we can not bring children back and weigh and measure them or TALK to them about their health/bodies, etc unless their parent is right there with them.  If young teens get dropped off at the doctor's office for a check up, we have to tell them to contact their PARENT (or person who the parent has given written permission to be in attendance) in order to be seen...the parent has to be there.  While I am on a roll here, let me also say, that  I don't like when the schools take it upon themselves to give flu shots or flu mist to kids without knowing their medical history or wether they are allergic or suffer from asthma, etc... I makes me sick to see the kids coming in after getting flu mist at school and they have asthma and they are sick because of it!  

Why not contact not only the principal, but the superintendant about this situation and whay not run it by a lawyer to see what he says about these schools stepping in and handling these matters so carelessly and possibly violating confidentiality laws?  I wonder if you have something here...I am so sorry your little girl was told something so STUPID.  Please tell her that the school is not her doctor, and to only listen to what her doctor has to say...

MommaRoseT
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

This disgusts me. Your daughter is definitely not overweight.  It's ridicutous and sickening that she was told this at school.  I would have to speak to the principal about this. 

KRIZZ25
we try to make excuses for ower kids bad behavior. when its ower fault for letting it happen in first place.we need to show them how to behave. dont make excuses ..make solutions ..
Yesterday at 9:54 PM
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

the scholls don't need tobe telling kid tharfat ..that could make em have a lot of issues wen thy get older. i thank she is small.tell ur kids thy are what god made em ..

ihave3boys2003
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM
She looks perfectly fine to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
merryvoice
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Personally I think the BMI chart is BS. They don't take other factors into consideration, and so a lot of people tend to be overweight or even obese, according to the charts, when they're really not. When my husband was in the Marine Corp, he was considered overweight according to the BMI chart. He was so skinny his stomach caved IN. That is NOT fat. And neither is your child. 

4newmommy
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Wow she is not fat at ll. I would talk to the teacher so this doesn't happen agin.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)