Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

BMI graphing for 1st graders?????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids. They were all born w/in 27 months. My oldest DD (9 y/o) has a growth deficiency and is seeing a Endocrinologist to determine if steroid shots are necessary. Now my 7y/o DD is much bigger then her older sister. Shes only in 1st grade and is growing at a very healthy rate. My son was 2 months premature and now weighs exactly the same as his big sister (he's in KG). It goes w/o saying that my oldest DD makes her younger siblings look bigger because she's MUCH smaller. So last night I'm going through their back packs & I discovered the school had done a BMI chart on the students. My 1st grader is now classified over 85% & considered OVER WEIGHT. They TOLD HER THIS. She is a solid little girl & is certainly not over weight. There are no rolls or pudge's, and she fits in the average size clothes for her age. Shes the same size a few other girls in her class. There are "over weight" kids and it wouldn't hurt for health purposes to control their diets but not my little girl. She has now come to me with concerns and asked me if she was fat. I wanted to cry. She sees whats going on w/her sister and now has been told by the school that she's over weight. I'm horrified she's going to develop some eating or emotional issues now. WTF????? I've added 3 different photos so you can tell me yourself if I'm over reacting on a defensive note or if I'm right to be upset & worried about whats gonna happen to her because of this.

She's the one I'm holding.

Her at the beach

Shes the one in the middle

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (431-440):
merryvoice
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Personally I think the BMI chart is BS. They don't take other factors into consideration, and so a lot of people tend to be overweight or even obese, according to the charts, when they're really not. When my husband was in the Marine Corp, he was considered overweight according to the BMI chart. He was so skinny his stomach caved IN. That is NOT fat. And neither is your child. 

4newmommy
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Wow she is not fat at ll. I would talk to the teacher so this doesn't happen agin.
JBuron
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

It was a BMI chart. I was trying to scan it into my computer but I'm not good with this stuff. So my next attempt is taking a photo of it & uploading it on here.

JBuron
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

WOW!! I never thought i was going to get this kind of response. THANK YOU ALL! I feel so much better knowing I'm not over reacting on this. I am planning on addressing the matter face to face. I just got out of the hospital so once I'm able I will be down there.

The thing I didn't mention originally was that she was HIDING this from me in her back pack out of fear that "she had done something wrong" and was afraid to show me this. She has been told by me and other family members that she is by NO means fat, big, overweight, or any such classification. She seems to be ok on the surface right now but god only knows whats going on in her head. I just hope the damage hasn't been done & there's enough strength in me to do some serious damage control. But I will be telling her ruffly 425 people agree that she is NOT FAT. That will make her smile.

again thank you all so much for the support.  

dfcinnamon
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Your child is not overweight.  You can look at her.  Here is somemore crap to make these kids bulemic or anorexic.  Tell them to stuff it.  Take her to her regular doctor and see what he says.  Get him to call the school and explain to these morans that she is not overweight for her age.

erikadi
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I see your point. You have every right to be concerned. I think you should nip this in the bud and let your daughter she is not fat and she is great just the way she is. She will also always be great. As for the school, I would talk to them about this.

apriljoy37
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

sweetie you have 3 beautiful kids please tell her not to worry and DO NOT listen to them. you mama need to have a talk with the school that was aweful for them to do that to her. poor baby. take care!

Saille717
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM
All four of you look fit and trim. Tell your little one that there are some kids who don't have awesome mommies like hers and sometimes they need some help at school. So they do these silly tests just to keep track and she shouldn't pay it any mind at all. They give this test to everybody so nobody feels singled out. That's how I explained it to my son, who tested below average for height and above for weight, though he looked like Bruce Lee! I told him muscle weighs more and it makes their chart wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CEOMomLarsen
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM

OMGsh, that is ridiculous!  She does NOT look overweight at all!  I do understand the school stepping in to check on BMIs, but not sure I would support it.  I know there are so many cihldren that DO need to play outside/get exercise and eat less junk food, and some parents dont care when they have a child who is CLEARLY in need of a change.  But your daughter looks healthy (based on the pix)!  Also, if the school did need to step in and help the child with his/her BMI... dont think they should tell the child.  They should talk to the parent and take the necessary steps to get the child healhty!  Kids dont need any more self-esteem issues than they already have to deal with!!  :(

texasmommy_0607
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM
She looks perfectly healthy to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)