Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

any moms with children 2 years apart or less in age?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM
  • 104 Replies

Do any of you have children that are 2 years apart in age or less?

Do yours fight about everything?  My girls are 2 years apart in ages(almost exactly), they fight over everything.  I have tried getting them the same toys so they don't fight.  I have tried, time outs, corner time, talking to them, spanking them(not a big fan of spankings for every little thing), taking all their toys away.  I am getting at my wits end about what to do now.  I am thinking about getting them each a large toy box, painting their names on them and thats what they have to put toys in, and no one is allowed to play with the others toys unless they ask, and its ok'd by me. 

I know that when I was a kid, my older brothers( they are exactly 2 years apart) did the same thing, and my husband and his brother are just over 2 years apart in age, and they fight over everything. 

Ack!!!   I am just not sure what to do.  When they are not fighting, they are well behaved children and do well in school.  I get compliments on how well behaved they are if we are out in public(hey, I guess I can be glad that they only misbehave at home!!).  They do chores without being told, and are all over great kids.  I just don't know how to get the fighting to stop! 

No bashing please. 

by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ClassyMom619
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM

My oldest daughter and son are 15 months apart. For the most part they get along wonderfully. Only once in a while they will bicker over something stupid.

edelweiss23
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Mine don't bicker constently.  Its once or twice a week.  It has gotten worse since their dad deployed a year ago.  

Quoting ClassyMom619:

My oldest daughter and son are 15 months apart. For the most part they get along wonderfully. Only once in a while they will bicker over something stupid.

ClassyMom619
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM

How old are they? As they get older it does get much, much better. My kids are 12 & 10 and when my husband left with his Army unit last year they leaned on each other for support. They went to each other's sports events to cheer each other on, made things together for my DH and helped me with the house. Was really sweet. 

Quoting edelweiss23:

Mine don't bicker constently.  Its once or twice a week.  It has gotten worse since their dad deployed a year ago.  

Quoting ClassyMom619:

edelweiss23
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:34 AM

the oldest just turned 9 and the other is about to turn 7 in a few weeks.  I was suprised 2 years ago that when their brother was born they were not jealous, they love him and they never acted out in response to him.

Quoting ClassyMom619:

How old are they? As they get older it does get much, much better. My kids are 12 & 10 and when my husband left with his Army unit last year they leaned on each other for support. They went to each other's sports events to cheer each other on, made things together for my DH and helped me with the house. Was really sweet. 

Quoting edelweiss23:

Quoting ClassyMom619:

goddess829
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM

My boys are 2 yrs apart and they get along well.  They fight, but nothing worse than normal sibling fighting.  They fight a LOT less than my sister and I did.

ClassyMom619
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome ;) When my daughter was born 7 months ago I thought they might be jealous of all the attention she would get, but they give her more attention than anyone else! LOL 

It's hard now, but I do promise it gets easier. Maybe once your husband returns home they will stop acting up as well. I know when my DH returned they were on their best behavior for months! lol

Quoting edelweiss23:

the oldest just turned 9 and the other is about to turn 7 in a few weeks.  I was suprised 2 years ago that when their brother was born they were not jealous, they love him and they never acted out in response to him.

Quoting ClassyMom619:

Quoting edelweiss23:

Quoting ClassyMom619:

stephadams1107
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I have a 6 and 7 year old. They do the same thing!!! Fight over everything. I have learned to ignore it. I for the most part let them try and work it out themselves. If it is real bad I will just take away what they are fighting over. Or tell them if they can't play nicely together then they will have to play by themselves. And send them to their seperate rooms. That seems to work better than anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
igot2crazyboys
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM

my boys are 15months apart and fight all the time. they are 7 and 8. i hate it. they are good when they are alseep or one is outside and the other one is inside. they have there moments but here lately all they do is argue of stuff or scream at each other. i hate it and dont know what to do to stop it. i know it dont help they are sharing a room now so that has been a problem. it wasnt as bad when they had there own room. we are hoping to move to a bigger house this summer so hopfully some of the fighting will stop then, when they have there own space.

violetlady
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM
My boys are 18 mo apart, and yes they argue a lot. I just ignore them, unless someone gets hurt. I let them solve their issues, usually the younger one will came crying to you , well I tell them you have to solve it without fighting. And when they get into a fight I punish both, one to cause it, and the other because the hitting. So now they barely figth ! When I stop taking sides it solved the problem, plus they are growing and learning to talk their issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheresaC7
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a 13 and 12 yr old that are 15 months apart and they fight ALL day every day! It doesn't help that my DD just started her period a few months back and will just scream her head off at the drop of a dime. Then since my oldest is a boy, he LOVES pushing her buttons just for kicks. We add chores to their routine if the fight is big enough, but other than that there's not much that can be done. I do hope they outgrow it. My brother and I did and we are about 15 months apart, too. My 20 month old will have a new little sister by Monday (hopefully! I am SO ready to deliver) and I will have to see how that goes in time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN