Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

any moms with children 2 years apart or less in age?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do any of you have children that are 2 years apart in age or less?

Do yours fight about everything?  My girls are 2 years apart in ages(almost exactly), they fight over everything.  I have tried getting them the same toys so they don't fight.  I have tried, time outs, corner time, talking to them, spanking them(not a big fan of spankings for every little thing), taking all their toys away.  I am getting at my wits end about what to do now.  I am thinking about getting them each a large toy box, painting their names on them and thats what they have to put toys in, and no one is allowed to play with the others toys unless they ask, and its ok'd by me. 

I know that when I was a kid, my older brothers( they are exactly 2 years apart) did the same thing, and my husband and his brother are just over 2 years apart in age, and they fight over everything. 

Ack!!!   I am just not sure what to do.  When they are not fighting, they are well behaved children and do well in school.  I get compliments on how well behaved they are if we are out in public(hey, I guess I can be glad that they only misbehave at home!!).  They do chores without being told, and are all over great kids.  I just don't know how to get the fighting to stop! 

No bashing please. 

by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Replies (41-50):
lovingmommywife
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Oh my goodness yes they ate 15 and 14 yrs old I also have an 8 yr old. But goodness it's non stop freakin fighting telling on the other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_29
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM

My youngest two boys are 14 months and 1 week apart. They do fight and like to blame each other but it has gotten better the older they get. They are now 12 and 11. I thought I was at my witts end one time about them fighting and blaming each other then I heard something outside and when I went to check it out my youngest had this other boy on the ground that was pushing his brother around and was yelling at him not to touch his brother again. So they might fight with each other but I know when it counts they got each others backs.

mybabysmama35
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I have the same problem! My girls are about 2 years apart and they fight more than they get along! I try to do the same as you-getting the same things but it doesn't seem to help. I have found that making them kiss and hug and say sorry does help. They don't like to do it if it isn't their idea. I just figure it's sibling rivalry and one day they will realize how important they are to each other. Good luck momma! If you find anything that works let me know! :)

momofpreemieboy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

My oldest 2 DDs are two years and two months apart they fought so bad I separated their toys etc. I went to my friend who also had children same amount apart and this is what she told me. As long as they stick up for each other in public, do not kill each other let them work it out. Unless there is violence then interfere. My girls soon stopped most of the fighting when they couldn't get the other in trouble. That it was just sibling rivalry and not something worse. They are both adults now and best friends. If you inadvertantly take the others side in fights then it can and will get worse.

brunett34
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

My boys are 2 years apart one 13 the other 10 about to be 11 in two weeks. Plus my boy/girl twins are 8 going to 9 in June. So, that makes 4 of them 2 years apart from the other. It gets kinda crazy when they fight but I step in and let them know that is not how to resolve anything. I also have a 4 yr. old daughter. So, Sometimes they all fight around the same time. But, most the time they get along.

fullxbusymom
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Yup my oldest two are only 18mo's apart.  I honestly don't think they fight that often.  On occasion they will bicker over this or that but it certainly isn't that often. 

heyma4
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Yes, i have 4 kids. My boys are 11 months apart. They stay the same age for 2 weeks out of the year. My girls are 2 years apart. (In all they are 14,13,12,10)

They go through phases of fighting. Some days they fight constantly, other days they are each others best friends. The boys fought a lot more when they went through puberty. The girls have their days, but for the most part now that they're getting older they fight less and less. Sometimes you just have to let it play out, as long as they are not hurting one another or saying very bad things, sometimes they just need to fight.

jthompson1976
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM

my boys are 14 months apart.  they use t fight over every thng but they couldnt stand when they was gone  it does get better hang in there

Threes.Company
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Yes, this is my life.  The fighting NEVER stops.  It's constant and it is annoying.  I just do my best to fight fires and teach them to work through their arguments with each other.

Mine are almost 5, 3.5 and 2.  Hang in there.  It's normal.

Missy13d69
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

My little two are 3 and 23 months. 15 months apart. My daughter, the 3 year old, is mean. She hits, and yells at my little guy, snatches toys from him, steals food from him...He's so laid back and takes it all in stride. No matter what she does to him, he gives her hugs, and shares with her when he doesn't have too. They are polar opposites...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)