Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

your opinion

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you throw a party for someone who was leaving a job by choice?

Options:

yes

no

other (because there's always an other)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 44

View Results

I was wondering about what you gals would do in this situation.  There is one teacher that is retiring and another teacher said she wanted to do a little something for her.  I spoke up and said that I was wanting to throw a party for another teacher who is leaving because he took another position in another district.  This other teacher said "why would anyone throw a party for him, he's leaving by choice."  I said "well, my district threw me a party when I left and I was leaving by choice."  Now, I'm not talking doing the parties the same time and the going away party would be totally different.  And this is something not the school is doing but what us individual wants to do.

family in the van   Mom of four

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleywagoner
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM
???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I clicked on the wrong thing!

Quoting ashleywagoner:

???

family in the van   Mom of four

CDMelty
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM
6 moms liked this

You throw goodbye parties for people you will miss. Maybe not if it's job suicide, like if they got fired for theft. But quitting, retiring, being promoted or transfered, all those get a party if parties are something you do there.

pebbles98
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Quoting CDMelty:

You throw goodbye parties for people you will miss. Maybe not if it's job suicide, like if they got fired for theft. But quitting, retiring, being promoted or transfered, all those get a party if parties are something you do there.

MrsRobinson06
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM
When I left my job as a Veterinary Assistant to be a Claims Adjuster I was given a goodbye party. They had a cake with a picture of me screened onto it and I was given gifts. I never expected that but it was really thoughtful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Outrageous
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I would do it ... it shows you appreciate the person and wish them well.  It shows you had a working relationship with them and that you are not bitter.  As long as he leaves on good terms.  That is encouragement!  Go for it!  That person who does not want to throw a party, will one day wish someone does it for them to show they were appreciated and will be missed.........

Xlandria
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Having a going away party for someone you care about, for whatever reason, is an excellent way to say people care about you, will miss you, think you did a great job, etc. It's sad when someone has done a good job somewhere and then when they leave, no one says much of anything. A party is a wonderful idea.

JacksMom1221
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 4:36 AM
Well, u can't really throw a good bye party for someone who got fired! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on May. 4, 2012 at 6:20 AM

I think everyone that wasn't fired should get some type of friendly good-bye.  If a party is the way people want to celebrate/wish well...then a party is a good idea.  Though I would do the parties together....most people aren't going to come to TWO parteis within the same ground (like in a school).

At my younger kids' school - the school board holds a dinner for all teachers/staff at the end of the year and gives a gift to EVERYONE leaving - even those who were only there for 1 year (or at least PART of a year).  They give a second gift to retiring teachers depending on how _long_ they've been there....but they kindly recognize EVERYONE.

yourpassion
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:28 AM
I would, it's nice to celebrate their new journeys and to let them know they will be missed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN