Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Poll

Question: Would you throw a party for someone who was leaving a job by choice?

Options:

yes

no

other (because there's always an other)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 44

View Results

I was wondering about what you gals would do in this situation.  There is one teacher that is retiring and another teacher said she wanted to do a little something for her.  I spoke up and said that I was wanting to throw a party for another teacher who is leaving because he took another position in another district.  This other teacher said "why would anyone throw a party for him, he's leaving by choice."  I said "well, my district threw me a party when I left and I was leaving by choice."  Now, I'm not talking doing the parties the same time and the going away party would be totally different.  And this is something not the school is doing but what us individual wants to do.

family in the van   Mom of four

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
soymujer
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM

The MEA threw a tea for the retirees and the ones that are leaving and gave them all a gift.  The school board won't do anything.  This was just two of us individuals putting something together, one was going to be like a lunch at the school and the one I was planning was a party at my house or something.

Quoting TableforSeven:

I think everyone that wasn't fired should get some type of friendly good-bye.  If a party is the way people want to celebrate/wish well...then a party is a good idea.  Though I would do the parties together....most people aren't going to come to TWO parteis within the same ground (like in a school).

At my younger kids' school - the school board holds a dinner for all teachers/staff at the end of the year and gives a gift to EVERYONE leaving - even those who were only there for 1 year (or at least PART of a year).  They give a second gift to retiring teachers depending on how _long_ they've been there....but they kindly recognize EVERYONE.

family in the van   Mom of four

mommybug77
by Crystal on May. 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM
I am not sure really, though I don't care :-)
sheri305
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Yes,I would....

Traci_Momof2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM

At my workplace (a corporate office) when someone decides on their own to leave for whatever reason, usually the department that person is in will all go out to lunch together as a "goodbye" to the person leaving.  We also do the same thing when a new person is hired.  A year and a half ago in my department we had one person leave (moving out of state) and 2 new hires all within one month.  I got a lot of free lunches that month :)

rwblake2011
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I agree with this!

Quoting CDMelty:

You throw goodbye parties for people you will miss. Maybe not if it's job suicide, like if they got fired for theft. But quitting, retiring, being promoted or transfered, all those get a party if parties are something you do there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bgbluford785
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I say throw one for both people!! Its a wonderful thought and gester!
AphrexiaX
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I just recently transfered from one store to another and my department at the store I left threw me a party with a cake and such. And if they will be missed then I say yes.

HTLoveMyBoys
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

This

Quoting CDMelty:

You throw goodbye parties for people you will miss. Maybe not if it's job suicide, like if they got fired for theft. But quitting, retiring, being promoted or transfered, all those get a party if parties are something you do there.

Loving Wife to Matt since 06/17/95.
Dedicated Mom to Shane Wyatt (05/29/96),
Brendan Cole (02/13/99), Liam Everett (04/06/01), Hayden Levi (01/10/03) & Riley Chase (12/28/07)

Pukalani79
by Kris on May. 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I worked for a company for just over 5 years when I left to move across country.  A couple of nights before we moved, some friends from work came and took me out for the evening. It was a blast and a great way to say goodbye

jthompson1976
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM

ya prob i think every one should have a cake  no matter how long been there shows you at least u care

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)