Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

his pediatrician isnt going to like this *added pic*

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

She said my son was too light for his height at 40" and 38 lbs. Well, now he is 44" and 38 lbs still! He has grown 4 inches this year but hasn't gained a single pound!
I refuse to feed him junk to "fatten him up" though what's wrong with that?

some pictures of him.  He will be 5 next month

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2cindylouwho
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:05 AM
4 moms liked this
Good for you! We're in the same boat - 5.5yr old DD is 39 inches and has been stuck at 32lbs. Lol. She's as healthy as they come. Thankfully, our doc realizes kids come in all shapes and sizes & don't have to fit some chart. We don't "fatten" her up either. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
murrlicious
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this

If your pedi had any common sense they would know that children grow at different rates. My son is tall and skinny. He eats all the time. Even if you feed your kids nothing but junk food the chances of them gaining weight is still very little.

Aslen
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:31 AM
3 moms liked this

I'd fire his ass and find someone that didn't get their MD from a freaking Crackerjack box!

Allissa
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
The way my kids grow is they get a little belly on them right before they grow. They love their fruit & choose it over candy. They both love their veggies also, even though my son eats only green veggies. I've fed them wheat bread so much that they like it. But the charts say that they're "obese." My DD is 4' 4" & about 55 pounds. My DS is 3' 4" & about 33 pounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsTBailey
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM
I agree and a good thing about our 5 yr old son's pediatrician is that i was the one always worried that he wasn't getting enough to eat but they asked me if there were members in my family who are tall and i said yes my dad & brother are tall. Especially my cousins on both my mom and dad's side of the family are very tall over 6 feet. They have said that is the likely cause and that he is normal and healthy. You should definitely change docs. Good luck hun @OP

Quoting Aslen:

I'd fire his ass and find someone that didn't get their MD from a freaking Crackerjack box!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandylin3
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM

As long as he's healthy and not losing weight, he should be fine.  However, if this trend keeps up, not ever gaining weight, there might be a bigger issue there than just you refusing to feed him junk food.  If a child fails to gain weight for a long period of time there could be an underlying health issue.  Good job, though being able to keep him away from junk food!  I'm not that disciplined.

AphrexiaX
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Junk won't help fatten up a kid with a high metabolism any way. My ex tried that with my son. The boy was always underweight and he could down 3 big macs at a sitting and be hungry an hour later. I don't feed him that way but his bio dad did. Thank heavens he is out of the pic now. My son btw, is niw 5'10" and only weighs 145. Doc still says he is under weight, but isn't concerned since he is healthy and active.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whitedaisies
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

how old is your son?

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

My 8 year old is 47 inches and is just barely skirting 40lbs now....he was 38 lbs for about 2 years! 

There is nothing wrong with a thin kid

workoutmom2b1g
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I hate how Docs put us all in catagories. Unless there is something medically wrong, I'm sure he is fine!! So silly!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN