Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Portland, Oregon Moms (piog)

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

I came home today and dh told me about a potential job in Oregon making really good money building a bridge on the Willamette(sp) river. At least we think its that river, we looked it up on a map it wasn't really a great map. We would be moving to Portland. It would be a huge move since we live on the East Coast. So I am wondering what's the weather like? What's Portland or the surrounding areas like? What are the good areas and the bad ones? What's the cost of living like? Its just talk now, obviously we need more details but I'd like to know more about the area. Any info would be great. Thanks

by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Pukalani79
by Kris on May. 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I'm from Southern Oregon so I can't answer all your questions but I can give you some information.  Portland's busy busy, so be prepared for that.  The area around Portland is beautiful - like most of the Pacific Northwest - and there is a lot to do. If I remember right the beach is only about an hour and hour and a half away, depending where you live. If you have kids they have a nice zoo and OMSI, which is a science museum.  In the summers they have Saturday Markets downtown which are always fun.  Weatherwise, it rains a lot in Portland but they dont' get much in the way of snow. They dont' typically get much above the 80's or below the 30's so it's pretty mild.  A lot of people in the area live in one of the surrounding towns - Aloha, Hillsboro, Tigard, Beaverton, so it can be a commute.

Oregon itself is a fantastic and diverse place to live. The coast is not necessarily warm (be warned) but is beautiful.  There's forest and high desert. There's cities and agriculture.  There's skiing and hiking and all sorts of outdoorsy activities. Rivers everywhere and some beautiful waterfalls just outside of Portland. There's caves and there's vineyards... There's the "hip and trendy" areas and there's the "hippy" areas. lol  The state offers something for everyone.  I love living in Oregon.

(We really have no natural disasters here, except for forest fires in some areas.  We rarely have earthquakes or tsunamis hit. We dont have tornadoes or hurricanes.)

Here's  a pretty neat Youtube video about Portland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1B2_r6Azvg

nurbabe82
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Quoting Pukalani79:

I'm from Southern Oregon so I can't answer all your questions but I can give you some information.  Portland's busy busy, so be prepared for that.  The area around Portland is beautiful - like most of the Pacific Northwest - and there is a lot to do. If I remember right the beach is only about an hour and hour and a half away, depending where you live. If you have kids they have a nice zoo and OMSI, which is a science museum.  In the summers they have Saturday Markets downtown which are always fun.  Weatherwise, it rains a lot in Portland but they dont' get much in the way of snow. They dont' typically get much above the 80's or below the 30's so it's pretty mild.  A lot of people in the area live in one of the surrounding towns - Aloha, Hillsboro, Tigard, Beaverton, so it can be a commute.

Oregon itself is a fantastic and diverse place to live. The coast is not necessarily warm (be warned) but is beautiful.  There's forest and high desert. There's cities and agriculture.  There's skiing and hiking and all sorts of outdoorsy activities. Rivers everywhere and some beautiful waterfalls just outside of Portland. There's caves and there's vineyards... There's the "hip and trendy" areas and there's the "hippy" areas. lol  The state offers something for everyone.  I love living in Oregon.

(We really have no natural disasters here, except for forest fires in some areas.  We rarely have earthquakes or tsunamis hit. We dont have tornadoes or hurricanes.)

Here's  a pretty neat Youtube video about Portland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1B2_r6Azvg

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. Especially the surrounding areas. I went to look on Craigslist just to get an idea on rent because I don't think we will buy right away and I had no idea about the surrounding towns lol. Thanks!

JadensMom1116
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Hi-

I've lived in Portland all my life. Despite what you hear, it really does not rain all the time! Today it's sunny & 75. The winters are pretty mild & it only occasionally snows 1-2" (none this winter!).

I love living here because there is so much to see and do. It is 1-2 hours to the coast, mountains, or high desert. There are huge parks in city that can feel like the middle of a forest. Portland has great restaurants, shopping, and arts. Plenty of places geared toward kids too. Our favorite place is the zoo!

It's hard to say which parts of town are good or bad. It can change within 5 blocks! Generally speaking, the west side of town has less crime.  I would suggest going to the city's website (http://www.portlandonline.com/). They have crime data maps. You can enter an address or intersection & see all of reported crimes. You can also find the ratings of all the public schools online @ the PPS website (http://www.pps.k12.or.us/).

I've been all over the country & I honestly can say I'd never want to live anywhere else. Good luck big smile mini

nurbabe82
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Thanks for this. We are still in the process of finding more out but I wanted to know a little more about the area so thanks. Ds' name is Jayden too lol.

Quoting JadensMom1116:

Hi-

I've lived in Portland all my life. Despite what you hear, it really does not rain all the time! Today it's sunny & 75. The winters are pretty mild & it only occasionally snows 1-2" (none this winter!).

I love living here because there is so much to see and do. It is 1-2 hours to the coast, mountains, or high desert. There are huge parks in city that can feel like the middle of a forest. Portland has great restaurants, shopping, and arts. Plenty of places geared toward kids too. Our favorite place is the zoo!

It's hard to say which parts of town are good or bad. It can change within 5 blocks! Generally speaking, the west side of town has less crime.  I would suggest going to the city's website (http://www.portlandonline.com/). They have crime data maps. You can enter an address or intersection & see all of reported crimes. You can also find the ratings of all the public schools online @ the PPS website (http://www.pps.k12.or.us/).

I've been all over the country & I honestly can say I'd never want to live anywhere else. Good luck big smile mini

Knightquester
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I miss Oregon.  We used to live in the outer Portland area.  My husband had lived there for many years when he was a child and knows the good area's of Portland city from the bad, I sadly don't.

We lived in Hillsboro and have friends in Beverton which are cheaper more suburban cities to live in.  We loved it so much but due to work and such we're here in Northern California.  I met so many great people there that they're now like family.  We have lived here in California for over 8 years now and I still get cards from our friends, calls, e-mails and we drive up there once-twice a year to visit everybody.

Other perks: It has a nice coast line and the price of living in Oregon is way cheaper then here in California.  The zoo is awesome and they also have a nice Science museum for kids there.  They do have mass transit in Portland and surrounding area's.  It's only a short drive to Mt. St. Helen's.  The arts, culture and events they do are awesome, and their farmers markets are really huge if you go to the one in Portland.  I love how large their libraries are and they have Powells Books store which is a new/used book store that is as large as many malls I currently live near, you literally need a map to navigate the one in Portland.

Needless to say I miss it, regardless where you go I wish you the best of luck.  :-)

nurbabe82
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Thank you. Everyone has had good things to say which makes me feel better about this potential move.

Quoting Knightquester:

I miss Oregon.  We used to live in the outer Portland area.  My husband had lived there for many years when he was a child and knows the good area's of Portland city from the bad, I sadly don't.

We lived in Hillsboro and have friends in Beverton which are cheaper more suburban cities to live in.  We loved it so much but due to work and such we're here in Northern California.  I met so many great people there that they're now like family.  We have lived here in California for over 8 years now and I still get cards from our friends, calls, e-mails and we drive up there once-twice a year to visit everybody.

Other perks: It has a nice coast line and the price of living in Oregon is way cheaper then here in California.  The zoo is awesome and they also have a nice Science museum for kids there.  They do have mass transit in Portland and surrounding area's.  It's only a short drive to Mt. St. Helen's.  The arts, culture and events they do are awesome, and their farmers markets are really huge if you go to the one in Portland.  I love how large their libraries are and they have Powells Books store which is a new/used book store that is as large as many malls I currently live near, you literally need a map to navigate the one in Portland.

Needless to say I miss it, regardless where you go I wish you the best of luck.  :-)

grneyedormom
by Kendra on May. 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM
I love, love living in Oregon! But I don't live in Portland or the suburbs. 2 hours south in Springfield.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rach3
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

my husband and I are both from Eugene oregon but recently made the move up to Wilsonville(about 25 miles south of "Portland" ) I love it here! It is very nice and family oriented, close enough to all the city has to offer, but far enough to avoid the busyness of it all. We can literally go just about anywhere in 25 minutes. Shopping, the zoo, downtown, waterfront... and they have  AWESOME schools!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN