Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How many times do I have to tell you?!!!!!

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 21 Replies

I'm wondering if it is just my kids.  When I ask them to do something, it takes ATLEAST 3 to 4 times for them to do it!  I'm very consistant with punishment.  If I tell them they will be punished I follow thru.  I just get tired of hearing myself repeat things.  Any suggestions?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RelaxedMom2-3
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids know better than to make me repeat myself the second time. Tell them no more 3 or 4 times. The 2nd time will have consequences. Good luck...

Knightquester
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I don't make it to 3, if I say it once, and then I have to say it twice I follow up the second time with a warning that I won't say it a third time they will just get punished for it.  Once is once thing, twice "maybe" they forgot or didn't hear me, but anymore then that IMO is just plain disrespectful.

Pukalani79
by Kris on May. 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM

We have trouble with this too.   It's getting better as they get older though

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I have to repeat myself about 3 times.On the third time,I'm about to go ballistic so she finally gets up and does what I ask.

in love                           blowing bubbles               puppy

Nathan & Tracey 06.12.99             Grace 10.10.03            Jonas 08.28.10

Karen_29
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM

If you find out let me know because I have that problem as well.

alwaystheresa
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

This and also I started a token jar. So when they do good they get a token (each token is worth $ 0.05) and they can lose tokens as well. Works like a charm.

Quoting RelaxedMom2-3:

My kids know better than to make me repeat myself the second time. Tell them no more 3 or 4 times. The 2nd time will have consequences. Good luck...

Mommy of Zooey Ellen and Stepmom of Cohen and Gavin

gracekyle2
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Quoting mamaslilpunkin:

I have to repeat myself about 3 times.On the third time,I'm about to go ballistic so she finally gets up and does what I ask.

No kidding.  I say "thank goodness for PROZAC."  They really should put it in the water supply.  The world would be soooo much better!   :)

Hilary799
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Same problem....now we make them do something they really hate in addition. They're getting there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scarngwife
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM

If you figure this out please please please let me know.  My 11yo DD is a major pain abot me repeating myself.  In fact, she is in the process of doing one of her chores right now and I know I have told her at least 10 times to stop watching TV and get done.  Get up off the couch and get it done.  I finally turned the TV off and told her I was gonna swat her bottom if she didn't get it in gear and get it done and I was going to ground her from the TV for a week.

yellow ribbon toddler girlteen girlin love

~~Teresa~~Mommy of 2 DD~~

the3Rs
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Nope. I don't let it get that far. They learned early on that the 2nd time there are consequences. Now, I'm not ALWAYS a hard nose, like if they forgot to clear their plates (which they do automatically - never have to tell them to do it anymore) I make a joke about how it must be my imagination that I see dishes on the table & they giggle & scramble to do it all the while 'hypnotizing' me that it's all my imagination.

But, to start you need to do consequences immediately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)