Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

how can your child get an award in a subject that the teacher says she is slow in?

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM
  • 11 Replies
My dd recently got an award in reading and her reading grade is a high b, this week they are taking tests for the end of the year. I went to the school today to eat lunch with my dd and her teacher says to me that my dd reads slower than she should. So I am thinking ok its the end of the year and she just received an award in reading so why are you just now telling me she reads slow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chinosruca
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Just because she reads slow does not mean she reads poorly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kendyd
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM
She reads really well. She does everything slow though because she is a perfectionist if she messes up she gets aggrevated with herself. I would rather her read slower and get what she is reading rather than read fast and not understand what she just read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting kendyd:

She reads really well. She does everything slow though because she is a perfectionist if she messes up she gets aggrevated with herself. I would rather her read slower and get what she is reading rather than read fast and not understand what she just read.

This is how I would feel about it too.

kendyd
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Thanks y'all, made me feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unusualmom
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I honestly think they should do away with awards in school. They sent home a letter stating my son was getting an award and for us to come to the awards ceremony. He got 'classroom penguin expert'. I mean, really? What is that? Hes in 3rd grade not pre school! Not that im not proud, not that im not glad he got the award...but seriously - they made that one up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I would have asked the teacher that question right then and there.

Sounds like you know your daughter and get how she learns, so I would try not to worry about it.

lizzig
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting kendyd:

my daughter doesn't do well reading outloud but she reads well "in her head".  she does very well on the reading parts on all the standardized tests she's taken.  i try to help her with her reading outloud but i'm really not that concerned about it since she does so well on the tests.

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I am the same way.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting kendyd:

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I hate it when teachers make comments like that.  My dd's teacher will complement he. Telling me what a sweet, helpful, intellegent little girl I have.  Then she will turn around and make comments like "I am concerned about her maturity level.", and "She needs expand her reading horizons"  What is this suppose to mean?  My daughter is 8. I am not going to make applogies for her acting like a typical 8 year old. She comprehends math pretty well. She only gets nervous on test, because our school's curriculum requires all 2-5th grade students be given monthly math tests where they have about 5mins to answer 100 math problems.  Talk about pressure. I would be nervous too.  DD is also reading 1 grade level above where she should be. She reads chapter books, and loves fantasy stories, and books about science, and animals.  Her teacher complained to me that she isn't really into biographies, and non fiction.  My reaction is, why is this woman so concerned. At least the chid likes to read.  DD just prefers to read about subjects that interest her, not what someone is trying to push on her.

kendyd
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Well y'all she has all A's and B's and her teacher she has now says she does great. WesternNYmom I know what ya mean about the math test they do the same thing here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN