Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Pit Bulls should be controlled and or banned. READ before responding.

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM
  • 116 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think pit bulls should be banned? All of them collected and euthanized until each one is gone to eliminate the breed entirely?

Options:

Don't care one way or another.

Do you feel pitbulls are no threat to the human race at all?

Yes get rid of them all!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 101

View Results

First let me start by saying that I'm not a negative person, and I'm very open minded. I mean no offense to anyone who loves the pit bull breed.

However, I've known of a few pit bull maulings, on animals and people. It's very heart breaking to hear of a pit bull harming or taking the life of an animal and human. Because the death/attack is something that could have been entirely prevented.

I know that there are many people who adore and love the breed. And those are people who defend and are against the breed being banned. I'm sure there are many people that DO take all the needed precautions with owning one of these dogs. At the same time, there are just as many, if not more people who have these dogs, that don't take any precautions at all. To me, it's like owning a gun. If you are going to own a gun, then you need to be educated and aware of all the responsibilites and dangers of owning that gun. ANd if you aren't capable or willing to devote everything it takes to be safe with owning the gun, then you shouldn't have the gun at all.... Same goes for the pit bull!

In this past week alone, there have been 2 pit bull maulings in the town that I live in. One was an elderly man, who was mauled by the families pit bull, and passed away from the attack. Another was a 16 month old little girl. Both pit bulls were "family pets", and had been with these families for years. The families describe the dogs as being loving and never showing any form of aggression until the maulings.

I don't want to ruffle feathers, and offend those who love this breed. But these deaths are senseless and so avoidable.

If it were my way, I would say collect all pit bulls, and put them down until there are no pit bulls left on this earth. But that's not realistic. I understand that. I think with pit bulls, there should be a firm control on them.

If you want to purchase and own a pit bull, then you need to take a course on learning about them, and what to do to protect yourself, family, friends, and anyone around that may come in contact with these dogs.

If you can't devote the time and energy into taking the course, then you simply shouldn't own one or be allowed to own one.

Yes, I know that other breeds can and do attack, but pit bulls are extremely strong, and for the most part, their "attack"  ends with the death of the one attacked.

I don't like to compare things, but the best way to described it, would be, if you wanted to own a mountain lion, you wouldn't just go out one day and purchase one, bring it home and go on with life. You would have to learn about it, in detail.  Other wise there would be consequences to pay in the future.

It seems that the typical person who owns a pit bull, are people who don't take precautions, and start to get to comfortable thinking that dog is loving and gentle, so they let their gaurd down and allow the animal to be around children and babies, while the owner/adult  is out of the room or has their back turned.

by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM
20 moms liked this

ALL DOGS CAN/WILL ATTACK!!!  Pitbulls get a bad rap because of the media.  The media doesn't report about the attacks by Pomeranians, Chihuahuas or even the beloved Golden Retriever (#1 family pet).  I read a report that stated that attacks by Golden Retrievers are ranked  #1 dog attacks reported by hospitals.

ALL dog owners should be educated on the responsibility of dog ownership.

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on May. 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM
27 moms liked this

Maybe we should eliminate people too. I mean, they attack and kill others all the time. What is more of a threat to humanity than humans? I mean seriously?

shavonk
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM
7 moms liked this
Its just pit bull attack time. Before it was German Shepherds, and before that was rottweilers....all dogs can be dangerous if not properly cared for and trained. There is nothing wrong with owning a pit bull. I don't own one, I have German Shepherds, but I have friends & family that does...so far no attacks..all limbs accounted for. Please please do a little homework & history on a breed before you make decisions.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM
4 moms liked this

I remember as a kid, the "feared" dog was the Doberman, the "junkyard dog".  Then it was Rotties.

Quoting shavonk:

Its just pit bull attack time. Before it was German Shepherds, and before that was rottweilers....all dogs can be dangerous if not properly cared for and trained. There is nothing wrong with owning a pit bull. I don't own one, I have German Shepherds, but I have friends & family that does...so far no attacks..all limbs accounted for. Please please do a little homework & history on a breed before you make decisions.....

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Yep back then all of those breeds would have been put to sleep.  What breed is next?

Quoting shavonk:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I would never own a pit, but only because they are to big for my home. You only hear about the ones being bad. I am sure there are thousands that would never do any damage to anyone. You don't know what type of people own pit bulls. Sure you know about the type of people that allow theirs to become aggressive but what about the thousands that you don't hear about. You don't know that those people didn't go out and learn all they could about the breed before they went out and got one. Rottweilers and German Shepherds and also extremely dangerous. They also kill people and animals every year. Why don't we ban those breeds as well?

We only hear about the bad dogs. No one ever tells about how they save people as well. Your not going to hear about the dog that has protected its baby human from something. No one wants to hear those stories. Everyone wants to hear about the evil dog that mauled the little old lady.

I think it is wrong to ban an entire breed because of what a few have done.

deccaf
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM
8 moms liked this

BSL (breed specific legislation) is BS.  Any dog can attack anything at anytime, for any reason.  My chihuahua? MUCH more vicious than my boxer/pit mix.  Back in the 80's, it was Doberman's.  A while before that it was German Shepards.  How about we ban stupid people from owning ANY pet?  That sounds a lot better to me.  These poor dogs have done nothing but be born or brought into a family that doesn't properly care for them.

How about we outlaw anything that can potentially kill you.  This would be most food (because people can't eat right), prescription drugs (due to side effects), alcohol, childbirth (because it's dangerous, right? that's why it MUST be done in a hospital), contact with other humans (because human kill each other a lot more than any dog).  You get my point.  I am NOT a fan of any BSL.

kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM
I agree.

Quoting offrdngal:

ALL DOGS CAN/WILL ATTACK!!!  Pitbulls get a bad rap because of the media.  The media doesn't report about the attacks by Pomeranians, Chihuahuas or even the beloved Golden Retriever (#1 family pet).  I read a report that stated that attacks by Golden Retrievers are ranked  #1 dog attacks reported by hospitals.

ALL dog owners should be educated on the responsibility of dog ownership.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Knightquester
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Pittbulls can be a dangerous breed, mostly because of their jaw strength, ability to attack at crucial points of the body and their determination.  They are one of the top breeds of dogs that cause deaths and injuries, not the only dangerous dog breed.  

I personally would not ever own a pitbull, and I could care less about their fate if they're an ill-trained animal.  I could not imagine taking pups and killing them without first attempting to train them.  I have known plenty of well trained and well behaved pittbulls.  The ones I am scared of, or don't like are the ones that aren't well trained, or show aggressive tendencies regardless of the training they've had.

I believe some commonsense needs to be used when choosing to take a life, animal or otherwise, and killing a life because you don't like their breed is borderline Hitler persona.

JJJMommyKris
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Do you live in southern new Mexico?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)