Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pit Bulls should be controlled and or banned. READ before responding.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think pit bulls should be banned? All of them collected and euthanized until each one is gone to eliminate the breed entirely?

Options:

Don't care one way or another.

Do you feel pitbulls are no threat to the human race at all?

Yes get rid of them all!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 101

View Results

First let me start by saying that I'm not a negative person, and I'm very open minded. I mean no offense to anyone who loves the pit bull breed.

However, I've known of a few pit bull maulings, on animals and people. It's very heart breaking to hear of a pit bull harming or taking the life of an animal and human. Because the death/attack is something that could have been entirely prevented.

I know that there are many people who adore and love the breed. And those are people who defend and are against the breed being banned. I'm sure there are many people that DO take all the needed precautions with owning one of these dogs. At the same time, there are just as many, if not more people who have these dogs, that don't take any precautions at all. To me, it's like owning a gun. If you are going to own a gun, then you need to be educated and aware of all the responsibilites and dangers of owning that gun. ANd if you aren't capable or willing to devote everything it takes to be safe with owning the gun, then you shouldn't have the gun at all.... Same goes for the pit bull!

In this past week alone, there have been 2 pit bull maulings in the town that I live in. One was an elderly man, who was mauled by the families pit bull, and passed away from the attack. Another was a 16 month old little girl. Both pit bulls were "family pets", and had been with these families for years. The families describe the dogs as being loving and never showing any form of aggression until the maulings.

I don't want to ruffle feathers, and offend those who love this breed. But these deaths are senseless and so avoidable.

If it were my way, I would say collect all pit bulls, and put them down until there are no pit bulls left on this earth. But that's not realistic. I understand that. I think with pit bulls, there should be a firm control on them.

If you want to purchase and own a pit bull, then you need to take a course on learning about them, and what to do to protect yourself, family, friends, and anyone around that may come in contact with these dogs.

If you can't devote the time and energy into taking the course, then you simply shouldn't own one or be allowed to own one.

Yes, I know that other breeds can and do attack, but pit bulls are extremely strong, and for the most part, their "attack"  ends with the death of the one attacked.

I don't like to compare things, but the best way to described it, would be, if you wanted to own a mountain lion, you wouldn't just go out one day and purchase one, bring it home and go on with life. You would have to learn about it, in detail.  Other wise there would be consequences to pay in the future.

It seems that the typical person who owns a pit bull, are people who don't take precautions, and start to get to comfortable thinking that dog is loving and gentle, so they let their gaurd down and allow the animal to be around children and babies, while the owner/adult  is out of the room or has their back turned.

by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
rosemagic01
by Holli on May. 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM
5 moms liked this

There doesn't need to be precautions taken to create a good dog. You just need a good owner. The precautions need to be taken when there has been a BAD owner (not bad dog bad OWNER) who created a situation. When a pit goes bad the owner should 100% pay for that responsibility and i don't mean just cash. If you train a dog to kill or hurt or maim you should serve the same time in jail as someone who uses a gun because you've created and used the animal who wants nothing more than to please its owner as a weapon.

southwind720
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM
My pit is he most loveable dog ever! People are to blame for how a dog is raised! A dog changes & adapts to their environment. When will ignorant people start looking at WHY & HOW these dogs learn these aggressive behaviors.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this

This one should definitely be euthanized:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/09/pit-bull-has-long-road-to-recovery-after-saving-unconscious-owner-from-train/?intcmp=related

This one too- it was even a stray:

http://www.thedogfiles.com/2011/02/03/stray-pit-bull-saves-woman-child-from-attacker/

I'm sure he was really trying to maul this baby:

http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/98083109.html

Here's just a general hall of fame:

http://bslnews.org/pit-bull-heroes-hall-of-fame/

Any dog can attack. Right now pitbulls get ratings.

As soon as the euthanize all the pit bulls then they will come after all the German Shepperd, rotties, dobermans, etc.

Freela
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think that pit bulls are more dangerous than any other breed.  I do think there are irresponsible dog owners out there (of ALL breeds) and I do think if you own a dog you need to take basic safety precautions (not everyone does.)  I do think that some breeds get maligned in the press... when I was a kid, dobermans and rotweillers were considered the 'bad dogs.' 

For what it's worth, the only serious dog attack I've ever had experience with was a neighbour of ours at the cottage- she was mauled so badly that she required multiple surgeries on her hand to repair the damaged bones and tendons.  And the dog that attacked her was a labrador retriever, often considered to be one of the nicest family dogs out there!

my4kidsrock2
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Our vet told us that Cocker Spaniels are responsible for the most vicious attacks but since it's a small dog and there's not as much damage it goes unreported. 

Any dog has the potential to bite.

mrsrobin
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM
I was attacked by a golden retriever when I was a kid. I was just riding my bike by their house and it ripped me off my bike.

It's not the breed. Don't be ignorant. It's the people.
And like someone would say "yeah. It was trained to fight" to the police. C'mon. Get real.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themissheather
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM
This! Exactly this!

Quoting offrdngal:

ALL DOGS CAN/WILL ATTACK!!!  Pitbulls get a bad rap because of the media.  The media doesn't report about the attacks by Pomeranians, Chihuahuas or even the beloved Golden Retriever (#1 family pet).  I read a report that stated that attacks by Golden Retrievers are ranked  #1 dog attacks reported by hospitals.

ALL dog owners should be educated on the responsibility of dog ownership.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM
I agree as well.

Quoting kamrynlily07:

I agree.

Quoting offrdngal:

ALL DOGS CAN/WILL ATTACK!!!  Pitbulls get a bad rap because of the media.  The media doesn't report about the attacks by Pomeranians, Chihuahuas or even the beloved Golden Retriever (#1 family pet).  I read a report that stated that attacks by Golden Retrievers are ranked  #1 dog attacks reported by hospitals.

ALL dog owners should be educated on the responsibility of dog ownership.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
These animals weren't meant to be pets, especially if the owner can't properly handled them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hismommy2010
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM

yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)