Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Are you a SAHM ? Question for you...

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM
  • 30 Replies

I am just curious for those who are a SAHM, what do you do all day?  I am just curious because I hear so many times that there just isn't enough time in the day to keep up on the house and make dinner for your family, because the kids are enough work.  Than I hear complaints that the DH has the audacity to come home after working an 8-10hr day and want to sit down to rest and not make dinner right away.  I guess I just don't get this. 

While being a Mom, I have been a single Mom while working outside the home, been married while working outside the house, been a SAHM mom, ran a FT daycare in my house and I am now a FT WAHM for a company (have been for almost 8yrs now).  Never during that time did I complain that I didn't have time to get my stuff done.  Although, since I work from home  I actually feel bad now that I can't get the cleaning done, or empty the dishwasher somedays.  I still think that since I am at "home" even though I am working, it should all be done.

Maybe if you could walk me through your day, so I can see why there would be a reason you couldn't get something else done other than care for your child, as I just don't get it.  Also please remember I have been there and done that, now it's even worse with working along with careing....

*** Please no attacks towards any one person, I am just curious.......  ***

EDIT:

I was asked what I do as a WAHM, I work for a local rebate company processing rebates and entering information for pictures.  Hard part about this is if I don't work - I don't get paid and I am paid on a per piece basis.  So this only adds to my stress....uggg  - But being home with my kids is great.  I also really can't drive because of a medical condition, so I'm pretty much stuck at home all day - sucks for the kids in the summer since we can't go to the beach and such.....

by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Cook

Clean

Put kids on school bus

Laundry

Run errands

Doctor appointments

Pay bills

I'm a single sahm, 5 kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Misha1204
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Ur a WAHM....what do u do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Sometimes I do a lot, sometimes not so much. It just depends on what needs to be done. I only have 2 kids and one is in school all day, the other with me ALL the time. It does seem like there isn't a day that I'm not doing dishes or laundry but I don't dust and sweep and mop every single day, more like every other day. I actually get pretty bored sometimes. There isn't really anything to do or anywhere to go in our tiny little town. I was hoping our son would be able to go to preschool in the fall but probably not. Looks like I'll be at home for another year and a half...ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Misha1204
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM
This, but I only have 1, tho'.

+prepare for the evening, next day, & next week

Quoting hopealways4019:

Cook

Clean

Put kids on school bus

Laundry

Run errands

Doctor appointments

Pay bills

I'm a single sahm, 5 kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I have been a stay at home mom for over 10 years and there has been very few days when I didnt have enough time to get everything done.

AntroNet
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I am a home-schooling sahm.  But I allow my husband to have down time to rest before asking to help me IF I ask at all.   He loves and respects me enough to lend a hand when he sees that I am overwhelmed.  A man going to work does not get a chance to "escape" the woes of home life.  Those children need his guidance and his love and attention to become the men and women they need to be to contribute to society.  But as far as my day goes....whatever you do---multiply it by 10.   But as far as my day goes I get up early enough to meditate and pray so I can focus for the day, but the baby is not trying to hear that...so between diapering, feeding, playing with him and starting the laundry, straightening up the house from the "middle of the night play fests", I manage to get myself dressed and direct the rest of the children as they awake to start their chores.  I make breakfast, then do their first lesson.  We go outside for the 2nd and 3rd lessons.  Come in, diapers, cleaning, chores, then lunch is served.  4th and 5th lessons (that last 15-30 minutes each by the way)--WITH me entertaining/training the 1 and 2 year old in between.  Then there is the menu planning, the curriculum lay out, the assessments, etc.  I really don't have time to be doing this......grocery store time.  Sorry.  Here's a BUMP.

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

All I ask from my hubby is that he clean up after himself which he still doesn't do.  =/  I take care of what is needed for the running of the household.  That includes yardwork.

VioletPlacebo
by on May. 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I don't seem to have enough hours in the day no matter what! However, my "excuse" for not having a super duper clean house allll the time is because I homeschool and work from home. With all the extracurriculars DD is in (dance, ice skating, swimming, art, music, storytime) plus errands and playdates and school trips... sometimes it feels like the term "Stay At Home Mom" is a laugh and a half!  The laundry is done, the dishes are in the sink and get washed before bed (we have no dishwasher), the kiddo is clean and happy and dinner is usually on the table at the same time... I call that a win!

TableforSeven
by Judy on May. 11, 2012 at 4:38 PM

When my kids were younger - I often didn't have enough time in the day to do everything needed to care for the kids AND get all of the cooking/cleaning/laundry/etc done.  Of course - DH never had a problem with that and has always jumped right in when he's here to help with anything that needs to be done.

Now that the kids are older - I do a lot of volunteering. Even though all of our kids are in full-time sssschool....I am pretty much never home.  So - I still don'e always have all of the cooking, cleaning, etc done....again - DH helps whenever he is here.  His view iws that thiss is OUR house - not just 'mine'....so, even though I have been a SAHM for 19.5+ years he has never expected me to do everything.

Of course - I have never come on here (or any other website) complaining that I don't get help from DH or that he's not doing what I want/need/woudl like him to do....because he always has.

mbnich0269
by on May. 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Some days are busier than others. But I'm not one of those women complaining about my husband not doing anything. I usually insist he sit back and relax. He does his job, so I'll do mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN