Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you a SAHM ? Question for you...

Posted by   + Show Post

I am just curious for those who are a SAHM, what do you do all day?  I am just curious because I hear so many times that there just isn't enough time in the day to keep up on the house and make dinner for your family, because the kids are enough work.  Than I hear complaints that the DH has the audacity to come home after working an 8-10hr day and want to sit down to rest and not make dinner right away.  I guess I just don't get this. 

While being a Mom, I have been a single Mom while working outside the home, been married while working outside the house, been a SAHM mom, ran a FT daycare in my house and I am now a FT WAHM for a company (have been for almost 8yrs now).  Never during that time did I complain that I didn't have time to get my stuff done.  Although, since I work from home  I actually feel bad now that I can't get the cleaning done, or empty the dishwasher somedays.  I still think that since I am at "home" even though I am working, it should all be done.

Maybe if you could walk me through your day, so I can see why there would be a reason you couldn't get something else done other than care for your child, as I just don't get it.  Also please remember I have been there and done that, now it's even worse with working along with careing....

*** Please no attacks towards any one person, I am just curious.......  ***

EDIT:

I was asked what I do as a WAHM, I work for a local rebate company processing rebates and entering information for pictures.  Hard part about this is if I don't work - I don't get paid and I am paid on a per piece basis.  So this only adds to my stress....uggg  - But being home with my kids is great.  I also really can't drive because of a medical condition, so I'm pretty much stuck at home all day - sucks for the kids in the summer since we can't go to the beach and such.....

by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
Diva-Mami
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM
I have 2 kids one being a newborn. I nurse and that can take almost 2 hrs each feeding. I cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Wash clothes, teach my toddler. Bathe my children. Sonetimes the dishes have to wait. I dont sleep at night cuz the baby is up and down all night. My kids dont nap so it make it harder to do everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vlester
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM

i am a sahm now that i got laid off and i look for jobs, run errands, pay bills, cut grass, do indoor chores. by that time is time for my son to get out of school and then its time to help with homework, cook and relax to do it all over again

shay0810
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a homeschooling SAHM  of 3.  Between homeschooling, laundry, dishes, cooking, running errands for dh, who works full time, and who calls me 5-6 times a day to get him a phone number or address on mapquest, etc., I feel like there are not enough hours in the day.  I also take care of the outside stuff, yard mowing, gardening, cleaning vehicles, etc.  And then when DH comes home, he sits and I basicall ywait on him. I know he is tired from working, and I don't mind, EXCEPT for when he comes home on a tangent about how the house is never clean enough (Never mind that I had just vacuumed and mopped the floor for the second time today before he walked all over my clean floor with muddy boots)  *sigh*  If any one can tell me how to get it all done, please, do so!  :-)

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM

LOL, I feel the same way. I am a SAHM with both kids in school and I have nothing but time. And I usually leave the house all day while the kids are gone. I wake up at 6:45 and by the time I leave at 8:30 most, if not all housework is done. 

When I get home around 2:30 if there is anything left to do I do it. The kids get off at 3:00 and 3:30. I have snacks ready and clothes out if we have something to do. Usually my husband cooks when he gets home, but other than that there isn't much else to do. 

I don't get it either. 

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM
I homeschool, watch extra kids, take the kids to activities and D's has tons of doctors appointments. (All 1-2 hours away), clean the house, cook from scratch, do yard work, volunteer at church, and do minor household repairs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2alexx
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM

1) I have a 8 moth old who has to have you right there all day long or else he freaks out.

2) Laundry "The never ending pile" No dryer just Hanging rack & Clothes line

3) Dishes (no dish washer)

4) Clean while having a 8 moth old who doesn't want to be left alone so that means taking him from room to room keeping an eye on him and cleaning at the sametime

5)Budget

6) keep the dog away from baby (always gated due to dog's bacterial skin infection..TOTALLY FREAKS ME OUT!)

7) Dinner

8) Errands

9) Doctor's Appointments

10) Take husband to and from work 

BannerElkHogans
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I think you have to take into account everyone here comes from different backgrounds- like me  my mom died when I was little an my dad was in prison my childhood......so my dad's parent's raised us on a farm.........an I have been on my own since I was 16 when my grand parents died. So we are all different an we all come from different backgrounds an upbringing's ...........

MommaLehr
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM
I have two in school, one at home.

It's constant upkeep. I assume when a WM leaves the house, it's clean. There are no minions running after you undoing the task you just did. For example: Two baskets of clean, nicely folded clothes were currently on my living room rug, I went the bathroom and come back to piles of clothes on the floor and my 4 YO DD sitting in an empty basket with the other one on top. Add another half hour.

I am not sure if you bring the kiddos with you grocery shopping, but I have to. Every other day for fresh veggies, twice a week for meats. That's a good hour.

Straightening the house up -top to bottom, running the vacuum, sweeping, disinfecting the nasty kids bathroom, putting away laundry, toys in the bins--takes on average two hours. That doesn't include the "breaks" to play candy land, do a preschool worksheet with DD, have a tea party, do a puzzle, etc.

By the time Things One and Two get home, the house is back in some resemblance of order only to have them "need" a toy at the bottom of a bin, or a paper in the middle of the stack!

Then come the practices, scouts, play dates... Somehow, dinner gets done in the midst of this!

I am very methodical (read: slow! haha) so it takes me awhile to do things.

Everybody is different. Enjoy and embrace it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mdmooch
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I have a 2 year old and I am pregnant with number 2.  I cook all the meals, clean, wash and put away clothes, take my child to mommy and me, the library, play group, etc.  I also make my husband's lunch in the morning, iron his clothes, run errands, grocery shop, etc.  It is hard now that I am pregnant because I am so tired in the middle of the day.  I take a nap when my son does just so I can make it through the day.  My husband is a little OCD, so at the end of the day we just go through the house and pick up whatever is left from the day.  Usually takes about 15 minutes since I can generally keep up with it during the day.  My 2 year old loves to clean, so he helps a lot!  Didn't think a 2 year old could do as much as he can, but since he loves to do it I just let him.  My husband cleans the bathrooms since I am pregnant, but I try to do everything else myself.  Everyone is different and we should support each other.

slw123
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I don't complain about being a SAHM, I am blessed to have this opportunity.  My only complaint is that there isn't enough time in the day to do all the things that I want to do.  Both of my children are in school.  When the alarm goes off every morning, I nudge my husband out of bed so he can get started.  I wake up the kids, help them choose their clothes, make lunches for the kids and hubby.  Get breakfast for everyone.  Drive the kids to school.  Then I head straight for the gym.  When I get home, I get my shower, get ready then I start cleaning, thinking about dinner plans.  Most afternoons I volunteer at the school in one capacity or another.  I bring the kids home and we sit down for snacks and homework.  After homework, we go swimming.  Then I start dinner (early) because either the kids have sports or I have a class at the gym.  After sports/class, we eat, clean up, get ready for bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)