Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Update - I told my father....and I didn't throw up **UPDATE**

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM
  • 9 Replies

Well -- I told my father about our impending move.

It went better than I thought.  He said he wasn't surprised that we planned to move there....in fact, he says he told my brother already that we'd be moving some day.  He is a bit shocked by the timing.

Anyway - I feel a bit better now.

There's more to say - but I have to run out again...wanted to at least post an update here before it got too late.

**Update/More Info**
OK  - A little more detail.

So - I wasn't sure how to start the conversation...so I basically just blurted out "we're moving....to Israel".
It took Dad a few seconds to process what his daughter had just blurted out...with no lead-in -- aand he said "Well - I have to say - it doesn't surprise me."

We talked for a while....went over the thought-process involved, etc.  He did say that he's been telling my brother for a few years now that he thinks we will end up moving to Israel...but he (Dad) thought it wouldn't be so soon.  Heck - I admitted to him that _I_ didn't think it would be this soon....we've always known we WOULD move there...but our original thought was retirement.  But - with DH's job situation, the kids schooling is killing us (private, Jewish school....in Israel - public school), etc - this is just the 'right' timing.
We still need to work some things out before we know 100% for certain that we _can_ move in December (which is the time-frame we're planning on).  But it really seems like this is the right time/way/etc.

I know we haven't been shy about our plans to move to Israel 'some day' - heck, I've spoken to my father about things we'll do in Israel when he visits us there for years.  So - I guess he had been somewhat prepared....though I still feel like I went over and shot him between the eyes all of the sudden.
Yes - there were tears involved (from both of us).
Yes - there was a bit of guilt-tripping...but at the same time saying that DH and I have to do what is right for us and our family -- and that he "won't stand in our way".
Yes - I thought I was going to throw up on the floor as I was blurting it out (Im glad I didn't because after we talked I cleaned Dad's apartment like I do every other week).
I know there wiiill be A LOT more talking involved as the process progresses.....but I feel so much better knowing that I no longer have to live in fear that Dad will bump into someone who knows us and knows about our move -- I no longer have to worry that the kids will say something -- I no longer have to worry about getting a phone call about our move or about what letters are on my desk when Dad visits our house, etc.

Also -  

by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommyJDTJ
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Glad he took it well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on May. 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM
I'm glad that you told him and it went okay!
WesternNYmom
by Alaina on May. 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Glad everything went well. Good luck with the move.

kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Glad you got it over with & glad you feel better :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
htreveth
by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM
This. Yay!

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I'm glad that you told him and it went okay!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on May. 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this

**MORE UPDATE**

My computer is being a jerk and won't let me finish what I wanted to say after the word "Also -"

To finish:

Also - I have been trying to tell Dad for months (when the plan was still summer 2013) -- but knew I just HAD to do it _now_ since we've moved the date up to Dec 2012.
I know he knows something has been on my mind for a whillle.  I'm sure he feels better knowing what's been bugging me.

So - now I just need to tell my brother.  :-S
I'm not close to my brother at all...and honestly it doesn't upset/worry me to tell him the way I stressed over telling Dad.   But - Dad said he isn't going to tell my brother - that it is "up to me if/when" I tell him.  But - I should call him tonight because I want Dad to have someone he can vent/etc to. 

Thanks again ladies for all of your suport, hugs, shoulders to cry/vent on as I've stressed  over just telling my dad.
I'm sure I'll go through A TON of emotions in the next few months - I know I can count on all of you as I need it.  {{{hugs}}} 

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 16, 2012 at 1:45 AM
I'm so glad it went well. What a huge relief! I will be praying for you through all of this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by on May. 16, 2012 at 2:22 AM
Awesome. Just curious? Why Isreal? Are you from there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on May. 16, 2012 at 7:06 AM

For one thing - we fit in there.  We are Jewish and living where we do in the USA it is very hard to live the lifestyle we do (our area has zero kosher restaurants so we never go out to eat, DH and our kids while in public schools have to take off many days for the Jewish holidays, there are no local sport-teams for our kids to play in and very few other activities they can do because they all have games/practices on Saturdays, etc - not to mention the INSANE price of a private Jewish education (which would be public school in Israel...and here the Private school only goes through 8th grade)).

Israel is where we belong - we feel 'at home' - we fit in.

No - neither of our families are from Israel.  We have no family there at all (our families are both local to where we are now).  

Quoting chinosruca:

Awesome. Just curious? Why Isreal? Are you from there?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)