Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

For my son's 5th birthday.  He doesn't really play with toys much anymore and we don't do a lot of electronics.  My parents are buying him a kid's metal detector and a shovel but need another idea to go with it.  In the $40 range.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Replies (11-19):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Hmm.. I wonder if I can find him more science kits.  He's really into the human body right now and he has a chemistry kit I love.

He has a little tent and a play fort outside.  

He's terrified of bugs

And I would so do a special outing but this is from my parents, not me :(

Quoting Knightquester:

I love these idea's, my kids love art kits or even hobby supplies.  They really love science kits that they can create and do things with.

Your son may like a portable fort of his own if he doesn't already have one.  I recently bought my son a pop-up tint so he can have campouts in our living room, or even the backyard.

Also usually around this time of year the dollar store comes out with portable kid bug cages, that have little tools to help capture bugs, my kids love to use them when we camp.

My son doesn't care for toys either, never really has but he does like things like magnifying glasses, treasure boxes he can hide things in, create maps of where it's hidden and go treasure hunting.  He does like his bike, and his soccer ball too.

Another thought is giving your son a special outing of his choice, my eldest asked to go to the state fair on her birthday since it will be happening then so that's her birthday gift from us.

Good luck and I hope he has an awesome birthday :-)

Quoting IQuitCounting:

Art table/desk and some supplies?  There's also cool science kits if he's into that, like growing your own crystals.  Digital camera?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM
A trip to a science museum?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM

He has a globe.  We got him a microscope.  He would LOVE a telescope but idk if I can find a decent one in that price range.  Any idea?

He wants a lizard so I've thought of doing that.  Are there any easy to maintain lizards?  We have aquariums and such so it wouldn't take much...

Quoting kamrynlily07:

What about a globe, a wall map, a microscope or a telescope? Maybe a small aquarium with a fish or frog? Also, I like the idea of the bug catcher kit.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Hmm.. there's a science museum we want to get a membership at.  I wonder if they would help pay for that?  It get us in all sorts of big science museums and it's only $60 for the family.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

A trip to a science museum?

Knightquester
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM

For school I purchase Delta Educations Science in a Nutshell kits, and they do have grade levels for theirs so you can find some within his grade/age level that he can do.

I also purchase some kits from the hobby store, the kids enjoyed the human body one that came with parts but if your son has sensory issues be warned that some of the parts in some of those kits feel way different.  Also there's one science kit where the kids made a stink bomb and exploded some colorful stuff.

My son is a few years older then yours and has older sisters.  When my kids were your sons age and younger I did science experiments with them.  You could build a volcano with your son and explode it, he would probably really enjoy that, and after it's built and he knows how to explode it he can do it over and over on his own.

Also have you thought of models, now that I think of it my son loves models and has been building them since he was about your sons age.  The first model we got him was a dinosaur one he built with his dad, was hours of fun, but also there are remote control ones too.

You could get a science kit to build solar race cars, I did that once with the kids and they enjoyed watching them zoom down the street until they hit shade, lol.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Hmm.. I wonder if I can find him more science kits.  He's really into the human body right now and he has a chemistry kit I love.

He's terrified of bugs

Quoting Knightquester:

I love these idea's, my kids love art kits or even hobby supplies.  They really love science kits that they can create and do things with.

Your son may like a portable fort of his own if he doesn't already have one.  I recently bought my son a pop-up tint so he can have campouts in our living room, or even the backyard.

Also usually around this time of year the dollar store comes out with portable kid bug cages, that have little tools to help capture bugs, my kids love to use them when we camp.

My son doesn't care for toys either, never really has but he does like things like magnifying glasses, treasure boxes he can hide things in, create maps of where it's hidden and go treasure hunting.  He does like his bike, and his soccer ball too.

Another thought is giving your son a special outing of his choice, my eldest asked to go to the state fair on her birthday since it will be happening then so that's her birthday gift from us.

Quoting IQuitCounting:

Art table/desk and some supplies?  There's also cool science kits if he's into that, like growing your own crystals.  Digital camera?

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Oh thanks.  I homeschool too so anything that can do double duty is good!

Quoting Knightquester:

For school I purchase Delta Educations Science in a Nutshell kits, and they do have grade levels for theirs so you can find some within his grade/age level that he can do.

I also purchase some kits from the hobby store, the kids enjoyed the human body one that came with parts but if your son has sensory issues be warned that some of the parts in some of those kits feel way different.  Also there's one science kit where the kids made a stink bomb and exploded some colorful stuff.

My son is a few years older then yours and has older sisters.  When my kids were your sons age and younger I did science experiments with them.  You could build a volcano with your son and explode it, he would probably really enjoy that, and after it's built and he knows how to explode it he can do it over and over on his own.

Also have you thought of models, now that I think of it my son loves models and has been building them since he was about your sons age.  The first model we got him was a dinosaur one he built with his dad, was hours of fun, but also there are remote control ones too.

You could get a science kit to build solar race cars, I did that once with the kids and they enjoyed watching them zoom down the street until they hit shade, lol.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

He's terrified of bugs

Quoting Knightquester:

Quoting IQuitCounting:

6kidz6grandkidz
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Maybe some kids reciepe book? We have one and have spent hours in the kitchen creating everything from edible dough to fake movie blood for April Fools day!

Knightquester
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Here's the first model dinosaur we got our son when he was 5.  After both he and his dad put it together the first time then my son was able to rebuild it anytime after that on his own.

The downside is if you're like us and have a lot of legos with small pieces, and puzzles with small pieces then this will add yet more small parts that you may find here and there.

The upside is he really enjoyed it and was able to keep it set up and in tact until we moved that next year.

dinahrp
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I would buy a treasure chest (you can buy one cheap at party city) fill it with metal stuff, lots of change,bury it, and make him a map.  Happy treasure hunting!!!   Oh and pirate it up, he needs an eye patch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)