Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

First birthday, no family will be here! :( Makes me so sad!

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

This bothers me so much! My husbands parents are in TX, we are in VA. My mom is in NC and my extended family as well. I get so sad bc nobody will be here except maybe a couple of people we know around here for her first birthday! Does anyone else get saddened by this?

It is so different than when we grew up, we were closer to our families. I also hardly ever hear from any family members or close friends I grew up with to see how lo is doing. (other than my mom of course)

Does this just happen in life a lot of times? Have you ever felt that after you had a baby you lost touch with so many people!

by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkmomma06
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I am sure that you are not alone on this at all.....Hugs......Happy 1st birthday to your daughter!!birthday sweetpea

mrsary
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Military wife?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmommy09
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM
We didn't have any family for dd1's 1st birthday. At best, we'll have mil here for dd2's first (though we should hopefully have more family around the following week for Thanksgiving). It sucks but that's just life. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Well, all I can say is take alot of photos and video and send them to the the family. They want to be there...but with as spread out as families are these days. And think this way, a first B day can be insanely stressful for the little one. The small crowd may be better for him. It's a way different day he has ever experienced before. The less people in his face the better....
I am so sorry about missing your family for such an milestone. They are sad to miss it too, I'm sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyledavidsmom
by Tara on May. 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I agree even though my family was around. We still had a very few people for their first few birthdays.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Well, all I can say is take alot of photos and video and send them to the the family. They want to be there...but with as spread out as families are these days. And think this way, a first B day can be insanely stressful for the little one. The small crowd may be better for him. It's a way different day he has ever experienced before. The less people in his face the better....
I am so sorry about missing your family for such an milestone. They are sad to miss it too, I'm sure.

jillbailey26
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Birthdays for us are just us.  My husband, our three kids and I.  That's it.  We don't have any family around either, so I like to keep them small and intimate.  For them, I ask what they want for a special dinner and whatever it is, I make it.  I'll make or buy a cake for them (whatever they choose) and we'll open presents.  It's calm, nice and we still have fun.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

AriMommy
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Unfortunately family has missed all of my daughter's birthdays(she'll be 5 this summer).  It's rough, but I was kinda thankful the first year as I don't see a lot of sense in throwing a big party for someone who is too young to remember.  I still bought her a cake and everyone sent presents, so we took a ton of pictures that we shared with everyone. Now that she's getting older I wish family was closer though.

Karen_29
by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM

with us living about 9 hours away from everyone besides my sister in law and her kids birthdays and holidays it is usually just that. We have lived here over 3 years and my mom was able to come for my sons 16th bday this year but it unrealistic for more than a few times a year.it was that when my husband was in the navy as well. I hope your daughter has a great birthday!!

mynameismuerte
by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM
When our first turned one we had a party and had like 6 people there, lol. It broke my heart but sometimes it's just life. We didn't live near any family. My MIL was there but she's a piece of work and did her best to ruin what already sucked for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM

All of our family live within 10 minutes of us, and that's including inlaws. We have a whole gang of us at everything my kids do. Sports, birthday parties, school events, etc. 

My husband has been offered a position in Houston but we've turned it down. I don't want to leave my family or his. Our kids are close to all of them and we depend on them to be there for our kids or us if we need something. We'll just wait until the position opens up at the location he currently works at. No biggie. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)