Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Has any other mama here had to deal with ovarian cysts???

Posted by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM
  • 39 Replies

I'm a bit scared. I've been having terrible pains on and off for the last three years on my right side, sometimes so bad I can't stand up. I went to the gyno two weeks ago finally, and the dr said that it sounded like I may have an ovarian cyst. Sadly, I don't have insurance, and I don't qualify for medicaid here in the state of Oregon because my kids are not with me at the moment, so in order to confirm diagnoses and figure out treatment, I have to pay out of pocket for an ultrasound- that's over $200 according to the dr. :o(  

I don't know if knowing about possibly having ovarian cysts is worse now than worrying about what I have and why I'm in pain all the time.

If you had an ovarian cysts, how did you deal with it? Did you have to have surgery or did they disolve on thier own? I have other health worries too (hundreds of moles all over my body that are starting to worry me as well), and I'm dealthly afraid that if not treated within a reasonalbe amount of time I may end up with cancer... is that even possible? I may just be a total worry wart, but I'm just about to start a new job and I don't want that to cause any problems :o(

by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyJDTJ
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM
I had ovarian cysts, but the doctors could not find them with the ultrasound despite the symptoms and severe pain. I had 3 different ultrasounds and none of the doctors/techs could find them. It was only confitmed after they burst during a car accident I was in, also very painful. Since I went years without a confirmation my treatment was birth control pills which seemed to help.a little bit but not much.

I too have a bunch of moles but doctors refuse to look at them until I am older.

Good luck. Sorry you are in pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Yes, I got them as a side effect of my IUD. Since having it out I get them less frequently but still deal with them on occasion. The first time it was so bad I went to the ER because I didn't know what was going on and the pain was so bad it dropped me to the floor. They told me one had ruptured and it would ache as my body absorbed the fluid from it... not much that could be done really. Ive since had my son and had no additional side effects and again, the pain is less frequent and intense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larabear1
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM
The first time I has cysts, the doctor prescribed birth control to shrink them. That worked, but they came back about 6 months later and I had to have surgery to drain them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:35 AM
I've had them several times. Usually they clear up on their own. I did have to have some surgically removed because they were so large & didn't go away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corinthians81
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I had two cysts on my right ovary that was found by ultra sound a few months ago,they just recently rechecked and thankfully they went away on their own.....Is there by chance a community clinic in your area that would take you on a sliding fee scale,that would be based on your income.?...You will be in my thoughts and prayers,& I hope that this is resolved for you soon,& that you feel better....>Congrats on the new job!!!=)

feel better

mrsary
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM
Not sure, but I have blood clots, blood, & tissue coming out of me throughout the month. The docs can't find the problem, but prob cysts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaLou202
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Hello Kj,

I have been diagnosed with having ovarian cysts and I experience the pain that you are talking about but only around the time of my period.  My doctor put me on meds to assist with the pain but as far as dissolving, I do not think they do that but I am not sure. 

kjdama
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:31 AM

That is what my doc said, that they could be side affects of the IUD. If my former doc would have talked to me more completely about side effects and what not, I may not have chosen the IUD. :o(  And I have had that same sort of pain (so intense I fall to the floor) numerous times over the last 3.5 years since my son was born.

Quoting IQuitCounting:

Yes, I got them as a side effect of my IUD. Since having it out I get them less frequently but still deal with them on occasion. The first time it was so bad I went to the ER because I didn't know what was going on and the pain was so bad it dropped me to the floor. They told me one had ruptured and it would ache as my body absorbed the fluid from it... not much that could be done really. Ive since had my son and had no additional side effects and again, the pain is less frequent and intense.

kjdama
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:34 AM

The only clinic that could take me has a waiting list of over 700 people, and that could take months until they call me for an appointment. It also sucks big time that I am in a new state so I don't know how things are handled up here compared to CA.  And thanks. I haven't worked in nearly 3 years and I've been actively searching for 6 months. 

Quoting corinthians81:

I had two cysts on my right ovary that was found by ultra sound a few months ago,they just recently rechecked and thankfully they went away on their own.....Is there by chance a community clinic in your area that would take you on a sliding fee scale,that would be based on your income.?...You will be in my thoughts and prayers,& I hope that this is resolved for you soon,& that you feel better....>Congrats on the new job!!!=)

feel better

kjdama
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:41 AM

I haven't been tracking my pains, but now that I think back, a lot of time I noticed that my pains were worse around the time I would get my period. I'd get a nasty discharge instead of a period, but with all the cramping and bloating, only the pains in my right side do get worse (sorry if TMI). Since I have the IUD, I haven't had a period. Oh boy, another thought crossed my mind- before I got pregnant with my son I had been on Depo Provera for 7 years since right after my daughter was born- I only stopped becasue my dr at the time warned me about how depo is no longer recommended for use for more than 2 or 3 years at a time. It took 8 months and some homeopathic remedies for my period to come back after stopping depo and 4 months later I got pregnant with my son. I keep hearing things like "not having a period is bad for your body because you are not flushing out the toxins monthly..."  Ugh... how can I get those thoughts out of my head???

Quoting LindaLou202:

Hello Kj,

I have been diagnosed with having ovarian cysts and I experience the pain that you are talking about but only around the time of my period.  My doctor put me on meds to assist with the pain but as far as dissolving, I do not think they do that but I am not sure. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)