Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

A kick in the pants.......

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM
  • 8 Replies

My mothers condition got me thinking. I want to live a good long, healthy life to watch my babies grow up, and to enjoy my grandchildren, maybe even live long enough to have great grandchildren!

I'm athletically built. Not super skinny, and not pudgy, but I do have a little "junk in the trunk".

For the most part I take really good care of myself. I brush my teeth, I wash my face, scrub my feet, eat well, sleep well, and I am active. I maintain routine and regular checkups with my family practioner and my dentist. I also make sure my boys and husband all make their appointments as well. Life of a mother and wife, right?

I'm almost done with my BA, and I work full time, not to mention I am fully active in my church. So when I originally brought up the idea of joining a gym to get my core strength back and to slim a little chunk off, my husband thought I was nuts. I'm a natural runner. I've enjoyed cross country and track and field since 4th grade. I did it all through grade school, high school and my first 2 years of college. I've recently gotten myself up at 5am to go running. So far I've only been able to make it around the block ONCE! That is SO pathetic! (I did just have my 2nd some on May 5th.)

I'm almost 30, and well, after two kids, I could honestly use a revitalize in my life.

The local gym is giving away free 60 day trials, with all of the perks. I went and got mine already. (They just opened a new gym down the street from me, and the first 100 got this trial. I was like 42 or something like that.) They are raffeling away a free year gym membership. I hope to get it.

In any case, due to my moms worsening condition, and the realization that we have to keep good care of ourselves to truly enjoy life, her condition gave me the kick in the pants I needed to take better care of me, entirely. I always put everyone else I love first. My husband, my children, anyone BUT me.

So after talking to hubs, and going over our finances, this is what I have set for me to keep me healthy in every aspect so I can truly be there for my babies, and live a long healthy life.

1) Once a month I am having a mommy day. That means I am taking what I need plus tip, and enjoying a kid free day in three places. One at the day spa where I will enjoy a facial, as well as a body massage. The second place will be at a hair salon. I need to FEEL GOOD about myself. I have issues with my self image (Although I have been told I don't need to.) The third place is a nail salon where I will get a simple mani and pedi. So having a beautify me day is going to help rejuvenate me. This by the way, was my husbands idea. I've never been a "girly girl" into any of this. But his mother is. And she lives by this religiously. She has been doing this for 20 something years. She told my husband that it just gives her something to look forward to, sort of a reward for a job well done, and it helps her relax and ramp up for the next month. It took my husband some convincing to get me to agree to this, but after a bit of talk, I agree, I do deserve to feel beautiul, and have a kid free, stress free relaxing sort of day. My Mother in law got me in with the places she goes, and we agreed to go a few times together to see how we like it. Yes I love my mother in law, we get along great! I know she is going out of her way to do things for me, since my mom wont be around much longer.

2) I joined a gym and with my membership I get free personal trainer once a week. I have promised hubs that I will go a min of 3 times a week for a min of 30 mins. (My classes are online so I do my classwork/homework after the boys are in bed.)

3) I've made play dates with my aunt whose boys are just slightly older than mine. (This is mostly to run the energy out of my oldest, give me social time, etc.)

4) I re did my schedule at work so that I can go in early and be off early to spend more time dedicated to my boys.

So I'm on a look good, feel good, and be healthy kick. I know the circumstances of this kick are not good, but honestly it's perfect eye opener.

Anyways, today I took the first steps and did some things for me. 1) I tried an at home, home made oatmeal facial. OMG! It was amazing! It took nearly ALL of my black heads away, smoothed my skin, made it so soft, and it feels like my skin is a little firmer and tighter. It truly feels amazing! I will def be doing this again! 2) I plucked my eyebrows which I haven't done in over 2 years shamefully. 3) I shaved. Everything that I normally shave, I shaved. I feel amazingly sexy right now! 4) I made an appointment with the nail salon, and hair salon. 5) I went for a walk with both of my boys in the stroller. 6) Hubs is giving me the most amazing foot/leg massage EVER!

My spirits feel much better now. =) Anyone on a similar journey? Any advice? Tips? Thanks for letting me share.

by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LindaLou202
by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Hello Exquisite,

It sounds like you are going to be feeling better than you ever have.  You are right that you need to have a good self image.  Some people think of beautifying as vanity, but for me it is so not vanity.  My husband loves me and thinks I'm sexy whether I'm in baggy sweats or a hot little black dress, so the beauty day is just for me. I recently got my first pedicure and it changed my life LOL I LOVED it and I can't wait to do it again!!!

LadyStork
by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Good luck. I already know I'll probably die in my late 30s because of.all the.stress in my life. Oh well. No.one will miss me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ExquisiteMomof2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello Linda,

I'm doing a little better. I've just realized that I have to take care of me in every aspect with the same love and care that I take care of my family with, so that I can be there for my husband and children. Hubs thinks this will help me a lot, especially with the impending grieving process I will endure. So really it's about keeping peace mind, body, and soul. I hope it works!

I also am not into the vanity thing. I've always been a tom boy. So for me all of these changes were thought to be a "vanity" thing, but after talking to my husband and mother in law, it's more about a self worth and healthy thing to do.

My husband is like yours. He finds me sexy no matter what. I don't see it, and I don't understand it. But hey, as long as he finds me sexy and loves me, that's all that counts!

I'm just excited to feel good about myself. My husband and my mother in law are right, I need this to feel better about everything. I need this to feel healthy in every aspect. =) Thank you!

I'm excited for a pedi and mani. The last time I got one was for my senior prom in high school! I didn't even get one done for my wedding! lol.

Quoting LindaLou202:

Hello Exquisite,

It sounds like you are going to be feeling better than you ever have.  You are right that you need to have a good self image.  Some people think of beautifying as vanity, but for me it is so not vanity.  My husband loves me and thinks I'm sexy whether I'm in baggy sweats or a hot little black dress, so the beauty day is just for me. I recently got my first pedicure and it changed my life LOL I LOVED it and I can't wait to do it again!!!

ExquisiteMomof2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Hopefully I will be eliminating some of the stress in my life with these new changes!

I'm sure someone will miss you! How about your children?

Quoting LadyStork:

Good luck. I already know I'll probably die in my late 30s because of.all the.stress in my life. Oh well. No.one will miss me.

LindaLou202
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I am very sorry to hear about your mother.  If you don't mind me asking, what illness is she suffering from?

LadyStork
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM
They're too young.

Quoting ExquisiteMomof2:

Hopefully I will be eliminating some of the stress in my life with these new changes!

Quoting LadyStork:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ExquisiteMomof2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM

It started as colon cancer. Now it is in her entire digestive tract, and now working it's way into her lungs. A new scan two days ago shows spots and they are doing a biopsy Friday to see if it's cancer or not. Looks like it is. Her body has already started shutting down. She has been through so much radiation, chemo and other treatments. She has been working hard to fight it, but it's very resilient. It has become apparent that her time is very limited. I've been having struggles with all of it.

Quoting LindaLou202:

I am very sorry to hear about your mother.  If you don't mind me asking, what illness is she suffering from?

ExquisiteMomof2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Awww, a child will always miss their mother, no matter how young they are. My 20 month old misses me when I'm not home. His face lights up, and he gets excited when I walk through the door! I'm sure your kiddios would miss you!

Quoting LadyStork:

They're too young.

Quoting ExquisiteMomof2:

Quoting LadyStork:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN