Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

can they take child support out of a disability check???

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have 2 beautiful girls from my first relationship.  I have court ordered child support.  he told me he was not giving me one red cent, that i had a good paying job and i could support the kids.    anyhow,  he somehow convinced the system he's disabled and gets a disability check each month.  then shacked up w/ a high school drop out and reproduced again.  i know they get all sorts of benefits.  i have never received any child support.  someone mentioned that it could be taken out of his disability check, up to half his check could be garnished.  is that true??

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danita42
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure but leaning towdard no since its federal money but heres a bump!
jillbailey26
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe they can.  File for child support and see.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

LOVLYLOVEKGS
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

this

Quoting Danita42:

Not sure but leaning towdard no since its federal money but heres a bump!

dinahrp
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

yes, i've done that. still waiting.  i have a court order.  now what?? where do i need to go?

CrazyLife1996
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Child support enforcement call them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Quoting dinahrp:

Quoting jillbailey26:

yes, i've done that. still waiting.  i have a court order.  now what?? where do i need to go?

Was it done through child support enforcement?  I believe they'll request for him to come in and he'll bring paperwork proving his income.  Then they'll figure out the numbers and you'll both sign to agree to them.  

I *think* that's how it works.

If you have a lawyer, I really have no clue.  I think they'll still need to verify his income before coming up with a number for him to pay.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes, and as far as amount goes it's based on multiple factors.  What state are you in?  If you go to the states/courts web site you can usually download a worksheet that can help you figure it out.  For example here's for WA: https://fortress.wa.gov/dshs/csips/ssgen/ 

And he can't just decide not to pay if there's a court order invovled.  Failing to do so can even lead to jail time for contempt of court.

mommasbrat912
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

It depends on your state, as well as your city. Call child support enforcement. I know my dad was on SSI when I was little and they took some of that money and gave it to my mom for child support. But that was years and years ago. Doesn't hurt to call. Worst thing that could happen is they say no. Best case, they say yes, and you get money for your children.

Willsmommy2011
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes they can ! They also can out of unemployment checks so go get his azz they are his children also !

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM
My ex is on disability.

You can take the court order and go to the social security office and apply for your children to receive an ssi check, they will issue a check right to you.

Unfortunately my ex didn't work enough for my DS to quality, so I get a whole $25 + a whole $10 towards the back support out of his check.

My ex is a loser and never worked or paid support unless he was on work release from jail, untill he got on ssi, where the court took it right out of his check.
He's supposedly blind but rides a motorcycle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN