Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Baby Shower for 2nd child? Ok, Not Ok?

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
  • 87 Replies

So we are thinking of trying for another child.  Our son is 4 and will be well over 5 by the time our 2nd is born.  With the complications that came with the first we thought we would not have anymore, so we got rid of all baby items. 

So we would like opinions if it is ok to have a shower for our 2nd child (and last for sure)?  We thought no, but some have said yes when there is so much time inbetween children. 

Thoughts????

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama2Owen2010
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
5 moms liked this

I think that if someone wants to give you a shower for your 2nd child, it's perfectly fine. A new life is always something to celebrate. :)

lizzig
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this

i don't see why it shouldn't be ok to have one with every pregnancy.  each pregnancy & child is different & special & thusly should be celebrated.  you may not need as much with subsequent pregnancies as you would with the first but you should still celebrate, after all there is always thing you need with new babies; diapers, wipes, etc.

Dylansmommy1017
by Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We had a boy the first time and thought we were done, but oops comes along my girl. I thought you get 1 and that is it, but the women in the family wanted to give me one and said when it is a different sex of the children then it is ok. But we thought we were only having one and got rid of majority of my baby stuff so it was nice. But the lady I work with was like "you can't have 2 that isn't right" so who knows the right answer.

I think if it is given in your honor and you are not "asking" for one then fine. Good luck.

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

If someone wants to give you one fine, but I wouldn't throw one for myself.  Dh's family gave me one when dd was born, and when Ds was born mine an dh's families just asked me what I needed as I didn't have alot of clothing or accessories for a little boy.

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I see no reason not to have a 2nd shower.

calishore23
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I don't see any reason as to why not. My mom was gonna throw me a 2nd baby shower, but we had just had a boy and had everything (at least we thought) at 7 months we ended up doing a 3d ultra sound and found out it was a girl, by that time we just decided to buy the clothes, we still had the main baby stuff.

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM
4 moms liked this
VERY, VERY okay. Each child should be celebrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaNoonoo
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM
I agree that a shower for a second child is fine, but it should be offered and not something you do yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmandaBaney
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM
My little boy will be 3 before his sister is born in July and I am having a shower. My mom is throwing it and at first I wasn't sure but now Im glad Im having one sense I still need lots of stiff. Good luck.
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Well... my thought is that every baby deserves a celebration!

I did not have a baby shower for #1, but was thrown showers for #2 & #3.  My SIL had showers for all three of her girls (the older two are 3 years apart and the youngest is 6 years younger than #2).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)