Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Shower for 2nd child? Ok, Not Ok?

Posted by   + Show Post

So we are thinking of trying for another child.  Our son is 4 and will be well over 5 by the time our 2nd is born.  With the complications that came with the first we thought we would not have anymore, so we got rid of all baby items. 

So we would like opinions if it is ok to have a shower for our 2nd child (and last for sure)?  We thought no, but some have said yes when there is so much time inbetween children. 

Thoughts????

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
Freela
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM

The etiquette really seems to depend on the people around you.  Personally, I think it's fine. When I had my oldest, rather than having a shower I had a Welcome Baby party when he was a month old- it was a fun way to show him to the whole family at once and not have people dropping by on short notice and otherwise stressing out the frazzled, tired mom.  I wanted to do the same with the other kids (not for the gifts, but just to have people meet the baby all at once)  but my family made it abundantly clear that they thought it was tacky and not okay.  Which was kind of disappointing.  I would say if someone wants to host for you, why not?

Rockabillymama4
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Every child should be celebrated!!!  Just don't register that's cheesy, let your friends and family know anything is appreciated.

jlm2676
by Jen on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM
My ds is almost 5 years younger then dd and I had a shower for both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM
If some one offers I wouldn't turn it down. But I always thought ettiquette was no to 2 showers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJDTJ
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

For that situation I think yes. I was in the same situation and thought I wasn't going to have one, because it was my 2nd child and 2nd boy. But I had been so generous I gave all of our baby stuff away (our first would be almost 4 when 2nd was born).

I think if it is needed then its okay, the trouble may be finding someone who will host it, at least that was the problem with me. But when I was 7 mo pregnant a friend told me that I was having a shower if it killed them (couple) and they threw it for us.

CafeMom Tickers  

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

godsgirl26
by ♥Charmaine♥ on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Quoting periwinkle163:

I see no reason not to have a 2nd shower.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doll0302
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:26 AM
A shower is for the baby. So yes, you can have one for each child. I also like the idea of a meet the baby event.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tattooedmama218
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM
No problem with a second shower especially since there is so much time between them.
elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:17 AM
I don't think it's a problem. I didn't have one with my second but we lived across the country from all fam and friends at that point. My girls were 4 yrs apart. My youngest is 6 now and I don't even have a onesie left so if I have another I really hope my fam throws me a shower!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larabear1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:33 AM
We were in the same situation, only there are eight years between my dd and my ds. I say have a baby shower. There is a reasonable amount of time between the two children. Of course, you would have naturally gotten rid of stuff you didn't think that you would use again.
If there was only a year or two separating the kids, i'd say no. That's a different story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)