Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms
My 9 year old dishwasher isn't cleaning well anymore. Would you call someone to repair it or would you replace it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Replies (41-49):
jediGert
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I'd see if I could get a free quote first, the not working well part might be something as simple and inexpensive as food stuck in the trap or needing to change soaps because they took the phosphates out of the stuff.  Try using jet dry before you commit to either.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Nobody will give a free quote here because I live so far from the cities.  I've tried different soaps (I always use phosphate free anyways so I know they didn't take the phosphates out of mine lol).  And I've always used vinegar for rinse aid so I know that didn't change either.  Besides that it went from cleaning well to not cleaning well in the middle of a bottle of soap with the rinse aid still full.

Quoting jediGert:

I'd see if I could get a free quote first, the not working well part might be something as simple and inexpensive as food stuck in the trap or needing to change soaps because they took the phosphates out of the stuff.  Try using jet dry before you commit to either.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:06 PM

There in not a certified Bosch tech in the world who will give free quotes, even if you lived in the middle of the city, it's hard work just to diagnose one.  I pay as much as $100 an hour negotiated in CA that's a discounted rate. Cheapest I have ever seen is $48 diagnostic fee in VA.  Average is $95

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Nobody will give a free quote here because I live so far from the cities.  I've tried different soaps (I always use phosphate free anyways so I know they didn't take the phosphates out of mine lol).  And I've always used vinegar for rinse aid so I know that didn't change either.  Besides that it went from cleaning well to not cleaning well in the middle of a bottle of soap with the rinse aid still full.

Quoting jediGert:

jediGert
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I'd still check the traps for debris anyways.  An awful lot of the time that's the problem.  Do you have a handy husband or friend that could do this for you or a manual for it telling you how to clear the traps if they get clogged?  It's one of those things they tell you to do once a year anyways but no one ever knows how to do it.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting jediGert:

Misha1204
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

This.

Quoting grneyedormom:

Replace.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM
That was the first thing we did

Quoting jediGert:

I'd still check the traps for debris anyways.  An awful lot of the time that's the problem.  Do you have a handy husband or friend that could do this for you or a manual for it telling you how to clear the traps if they get clogged?  It's one of those things they tell you to do once a year anyways but no one ever knows how to do it.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting jediGert:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jediGert
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Then I'd replace it as it's almost a decade old.  If the problem isn't obvious it will require repairs which won't run you as much as replacing will BUT what you will get out of better efficiency will make up for the cost over the long term as long as you get an energy star compliant unit.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

That was the first thing we did

Quoting jediGert:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting jediGert:

kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM

We had to replace ours last year.

NCMOMMIE18
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Replace.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)