Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Wish this would stop hurting!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:18 AM
  • 6 Replies
About 3 weeks ago the 2nd joint on my index finger became inflamed and painful. It hurt to touch it, bend it and was slightly swollen. 3 weeks later it isn't any better. =( In fact it was just slightly swollen then...now it's almost double. I know I need to see a doc about it but can't afford it right now. It seems things like this happen for everyone when they can least handle them. If it was just an issue of my copay if go. I can come up with that. But unfortunately x rays, labs and all that stuff fall under deductible and so I would have to pay the full amount until 1,500 and then 20% after that. I doubt they will x ray it, but I already know that they will want to do labs for rheumatoid arthritis since my brother was just seen and tested positive. I have no desire for the test. I'd take it to Vegas that my mom and I will both test positive as well considering its so prominent in her family. I'm also a prime candidate for carpal tunnel. Spending the last 3 days ripping up carpet and putting in wood flooring probably didn't help. I know, nothing you ladies can do. I really do need to make an appt if I want to see improvement. I'm just aggravated and need to vent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 5:13 AM
Sorry mama! Did the inflammation come on suddenly or did you injure it? The fact that it is 3 weeks later and worse has me worried! Maybe there is a county clinic that you can go to on your day off or when you have more than a few hours? Is it Red ? I hope you get better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I found this at WebMD. Not sure if it will be helpful to you or not but I thought it might help you get through this now. When you have the means to have it checked out by your doc, please do so. Good luck, I hope you get some relief.

Can moist heat or ice help RA pain?

Moist heat and ice are both effective in easy RA pain and stiffness.

Try using warm, moist compresses on your arthritic fingers and hands for 15 minutes before you exercise. Moist heat dilates blood vessels and increases the flow of blood, oxygen, and nutrients to the painful site.  

You may use a moist heating pad, a warm, damp towel, or a hydrocollator pack. You can also place your hands in a moist heat bath or try a warm paraffin (wax) bath. It may help your stiffness to use the moist heat for a few minutes after exercising.

Some patients with RA prefer ice packs, which reduce swelling and pain by constricting blood vessels. You might try a bag of frozen vegetables or ice wrapped in a clean towel. Apply this to the painful joint for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

Alternating moist heat applications with ice packs may bring optimal relief. The most important thing is to find the pain-relieving therapy that works best for you. Then, make it part of your daily ritual to use the moist heat and/or ice packs before and after exercise.

Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM
That's the weird part. I didn't do anything to it. That I'm aware of. It also doesn't ache. It only hurts if I bend or try to use it and when I touch it. I would think if it's RA that it would hurt more than that? No redness. No big bites. It's just odd. I know the whole reason they just tested my brother was he had his thumb swell up REALLY bad. Ended up being that he had a HUGE cyst that needed excised. I sit behind a computer for 10 hours typing for my job so this is just really sucking. I think I might just have to suck it up and go to the doc and figure out a payment plan.

Quoting elzmnsf:

Sorry mama! Did the inflammation come on suddenly or did you injure it? The fact that it is 3 weeks later and worse has me worried! Maybe there is a county clinic that you can go to on your day off or when you have more than a few hours? Is it Red ? I hope you get better!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM
I hadn't thought of trying heat/ice. I will try that. Thank you!

Quoting mumsy2three:

I found this at WebMD. Not sure if it will be helpful to you or not but I thought it might help you get through this now. When you have the means to have it checked out by your doc, please do so. Good luck, I hope you get some relief.

Try using warm, moist compresses on your arthritic fingers and
hands for 15 minutes before you exercise. Moist heat dilates blood
vessels and increases the flow of blood, oxygen, and nutrients to the
painful site.  

You may use a moist heating pad, a warm, damp towel, or a
hydrocollator pack. You can also place your hands in a moist heat bath
or try a warm paraffin (wax) bath. It may help your stiffness to use the
moist heat for a few minutes after exercising.

Some patients with RA prefer ice packs, which reduce swelling and
pain by constricting blood vessels. You might try a bag of frozen
vegetables or ice wrapped in a clean towel. Apply this to the painful
joint for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

Alternating moist heat applications with ice packs may bring
optimal relief. The most important thing is to find the pain-relieving
therapy that works best for you. Then, make it part of your daily ritual
to use the moist heat and/or ice packs before and after exercise.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM

You can always try going to CVS or Rite Aid and buy a splint and some Medical tape. Try not ot use the finger for a few days. Just an idea.

Owner of Groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114224  May 2005 Kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114223 September 2002 kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/116341 Once Upon A Time (TV Series)

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Thanks for posting this! Great info.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Try using warm, moist compresses on your arthritic fingers and
hands for 15 minutes before you exercise. Moist heat dilates blood
vessels and increases the flow of blood, oxygen, and nutrients to the
painful site.  

You may use a moist heating pad, a warm, damp towel, or a
hydrocollator pack. You can also place your hands in a moist heat bath
or try a warm paraffin (wax) bath. It may help your stiffness to use the
moist heat for a few minutes after exercising.

Some patients with RA prefer ice packs, which reduce swelling and
pain by constricting blood vessels. You might try a bag of frozen
vegetables or ice wrapped in a clean towel. Apply this to the painful
joint for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

Alternating moist heat applications with ice packs may bring
optimal relief. The most important thing is to find the pain-relieving
therapy that works best for you. Then, make it part of your daily ritual
to use the moist heat and/or ice packs before and after exercise.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN