Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's talk about potty training!

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM
  • 7 Replies
Who's got experience and advice? I just started with DS and this is all new to me. I put him in underwear (which he really likes) and take him to the potty as often as every 10-30min. I even let him watch a cartoon on the potty because he really likes sitting on it. He knows when he has to go and I feel he is ready. Any tips???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JBuron
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Every child is different. I have 3 & they all trained in their own way. Some read books some sang songs. They would ALWAYS go in with me when I went. We also had to do a lot of naked time because underwear gave that false sense of security sometimes. For boys a good trick is to drop in a couple cheerios for "aiming/target" practice. You'll get that intuition kick in because you know your child better then anyone else does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Melissa on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM
DD and DS really just did it on their own when they were ready. DD was 18 months and we just left a potty out in the living room and she just did it. DS was trickier but he had lots of naked time and he did good naked but not dressed. Then one day, he just declared he wanted undies and bam, potty trained. He was just over two. We kept potties readily available all the time and they just sort of did it on their own. DS did try to start before he was two but he wasn't ready and didn't do well so we didn't push it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet_dat2001
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM
dont force ur chold if they are not rdy....have u seen the potty dance cd?? i have a extra if u need one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Introduce slowly!!! Offer a lot of water and salty snacks. My son is 4 and still loves watching potty videos. We have elmo's potty time and the pull ups video. In the beginning I had him pick out the chair, underpants and stickers. The potty was in the liv room for easy access and I slowly moved it towards the bathroom. He actually prefered the big toilet after a while!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I tried a couple of times with Isabelle and she just wasn't ready.  A few weeks ago, on a Saturday, I threw her in some 'big girl panties' and told her that she needed to go on the potty when she had to go.  I put her on there every 30 minutes or so.  I think she had 2 accidents that day.  I made a HUGE deal of it when she went, and gave her a treat, etc.  The potty is in our main room (living room/office) and she'll sit down when she needs to go, and my husband and I can believe her when she says "no" when we ask her if she needs to go.  Also, pretty much on her own she has gotten poo trained as well.  She has the occassional accident, but not often.  That also is still a HUGE deal when she does that on the potty.

soymujer
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I know of a 3 day method if you like more info, pm me.

family in the van   Mom of four

Gooberzilla
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:33 AM

I have only ever potty trained my daughter and I have heard that boys are different.  Average age for full day potty trained with no more accidents is 35 months for girls, 37 months for boys.  My DD didn't show a lot of interest in potty training until 34 months then trained herself overnight.  Went from diapers to dry without a single accident.  Before that day she wouldn't go in the potty at all.  Every child is different and except for seriously developmentally delayed or emotionally disturbed children I don't know any child who doesn't potty train eventually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)