Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you keep your house tidy so it does not overwhelm you?

Posted by   + Show Post

With 3 little kids and a hubby that works all the time, I do everything around here and it feels overwhelming sometimes...if I even take a little time off the constant routine of laundry, dishes, tidying up, dusting, vacuuming, to do something with the kids, I feel overwhelmed...do you ladies have any tricks to help you get it all done??  All that plus we get an amazing amount of papers into this house-newpapers, notices from my kids' schools and homework type stuff, mail...it's crazy.  I try to sort it, file it and recycle it as fast as I can but it always seems to build up so quickly.

Can't really ask my hubby for more help...he works night shift every day of the week and sleeps most of the day and I guess I feel it's not fair to say, "...hey you have to help me clean rather than spend time with the kids."  I just would like to more organized & not break out into a sweat when someone comes to our door....lol! :) 

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (171-180):
grammastacy
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Check out Flylady.com.  She has great tips.

It's actually flylady.net ,  not .com,  but I 100% agree with this...   I've been 'Flying' for 5 years now, and even when I fall ''off the wagon'' now and then, it NEVER gets as bad as it used to be.   Flylady knows what causes the overwhelmed feeling we get, why we don't know where to start and how to do 'baby steps' and trust me, it works!!!  Good luck, know you aren't alone in this... let go of the perfectionism and try to be kind to yourself in the process..  and you will see a difference soon. Bright Blessings!!

mom2bell
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM
I do a little every day. Laundry daily. Dusting once a week. Vac. Daily. Sheets changed weekly. I have 4 kids 3 are old enough to keep their own rooms nice, 2 do their own laundry and clean their bathroom. But husband and the little 2, plus the dogs and chickens, and my father...I am busy! I have learned not to stress out over everything...if I can't get to it I don't...but I alsways try to keep up on everything so I don't get backed up and have more to do in less time to do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leahs_Crew
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I have eight kids with another one on the way, I keep the house as picked up as I can. I never really get it clean with eight kids running around.

Leah. Wife to Jim. Mom to Brittney, Hailey, Cody, Tony, Kayla, Dameon, Madison, Alexis and Connor EDD 9-08-2012.
vsop690
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I just hired a maid... I will just have her come once a month to do a major clean... then I will be happy bc I can maintain it in between and wont be stressed bc I cant get it as clean as I really want it tobe.

Ronda2012
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I have a chores schedule in my household binder. Each day I only deal with one room/area of the house M-F. That way, it doesn't take more than a couple hours, then I can work on my business stuff. I don't allow stuff to build up, otherwise, yes, I do get very overwhelmed. Also, I make my son do chores to help out. Try making a game out of it - set a timer for 20 minutes and see how much you can get done. When things get bad, I do that. It's amazing how much you can get done in a short period of time.

mothernature
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM

i sorted most of the toys(mr potato heads,legos,wood blocks) and put them in small bins on the shelf and they have to ask  to take anything down that way we can clean it up before more comes down ,it helps alot now that they(my 2 yr old,and a 8 and 4 yr old i babysit) are used to it . i only vaccuum on the weekends but you could get a broom vac and let even a toddler do it. my 10 and 13 yr old do their own laundry and i do mine,hubbies and my two yr olds on the weekend when hubbie is home with the kids ....when you have time look up fly lady she is so awesome !!! and remember that cleaning when you have little  kids is like shoveling during a blizzard lol

jdsmell7
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I can TOTALLY relate since I work from home while having a 22 month old, 2 dogs, & a hubby that works swing shift ! What seems to work for me (us) is that I set aside some time 1/2hr to 45min either in am or evening for those daily maintenance chores: vaccuming, picking up, putting in load of laundry, dishes etc. Then I try to tackle 1 major project per week-- change bedding, clean floors, wash windows, so seasonal decor, reorganize closet, etc. When it comes to recycling-- keep a brown paper grocery bag under sink, in cupboard, or where convienient so that when you're done w/ papers, un-wanted mail, magazines--you can just toss them in, then take the whole bag to the curb for recycling/garbage day! I keep a plastic tote in garage for other recycle-ables-- glass,metal,plastic so each time hubby or myself go out to garage we take recycle items w/ us from kitchen,etc. to put in tote Hope this helps ! Good Luck :-)

momof3woods
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:48 AM
5 kids, ages 3,5,9,17,18. One room at a time. After a couple days, after all rooms are done, I just start all over. 'Spring' cleaning every other weekend. A woman's work...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeccaBear11
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM
I'm in the same boat and it's taken me years to get better. Not great, but better. The only thing that I've found to help is to do things immediately so that they don't pile up. That way, you won't get that anxiety feeling which makes you want to avoid the large task you now have to do.

Another thing that has helped for me which may help for procrastinators who get that overwhelming feeling when things pile up is this: something is better than nothing and good enough is better than nothing. For example: if you don't have time to mop or mopping seems like too much at the moment, spot clean any noticeable spots on the floor. A semi clean house is better than a dirty house.

Good luck and sympathy to all who get overwhelmed by housekeeping. I feel your pain!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atfp4554
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN