Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you keep your house tidy so it does not overwhelm you?

Posted by   + Show Post

With 3 little kids and a hubby that works all the time, I do everything around here and it feels overwhelming sometimes...if I even take a little time off the constant routine of laundry, dishes, tidying up, dusting, vacuuming, to do something with the kids, I feel overwhelmed...do you ladies have any tricks to help you get it all done??  All that plus we get an amazing amount of papers into this house-newpapers, notices from my kids' schools and homework type stuff, mail...it's crazy.  I try to sort it, file it and recycle it as fast as I can but it always seems to build up so quickly.

Can't really ask my hubby for more help...he works night shift every day of the week and sleeps most of the day and I guess I feel it's not fair to say, "...hey you have to help me clean rather than spend time with the kids."  I just would like to more organized & not break out into a sweat when someone comes to our door....lol! :) 

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (181-187):
WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I find spending an hour everyday to tidy up the livingroom, do laundry, and tidy up the kitchen and bathroom helps me stay ahead. I also do the dishes as soon as mealtime is over so that I don't have a huge pile to wash after dinner.  If I wait until the weekend to clean, my house is a wreak and I feel overwhelmed while trying to clean it.  You don't have to do everything in on day. I have found if I just tackle on room or chore a day it helps with the stress of cleaning.

mbenit4
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I have a cleaning schedule. I do one room a week night. It really works for us. I don't like leaving it for the weekend because if we go somewhere or do something then I would be doing everything last minute on Sundays. Of course, there are things I do daily but my schedule has helped. We started it while I was pregnant with #2. My house is cleaner now than when I just had one.

What helps is that since you are doing things weekly the rooms aren't very dirty. Like tubs, floors, etc.

Michele B, mom to Mia & Caleb

boy n girl

dinahrp
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

We clean a little everyday and pick up after ourselves.  Also I have 4 children, they all help except the baby- my 11, 9 and 3 yr old clean.  When they realize how hard it is to clean, they are more likely to think twice about making a mess. 

cassiekitty7
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I do a little everyday and then I conside myself done for the day.  I do laundry when it's full and let it run while I do something else. 

ashleywagoner
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM
A room a day...or make some sort of flexible schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM
I am in the same mess as you even with dh hours just add one more kid for me :-)
amy1763
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I do a load of laundry everyday. I follow the same routine every day, even weekends. I stay up with the whole overall tidiness of the house everyday and then do 1 or 2 extra things that are bigger..everyday. It seems neverending.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN