Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you keep your house tidy so it does not overwhelm you?

Posted by   + Show Post

With 3 little kids and a hubby that works all the time, I do everything around here and it feels overwhelming sometimes...if I even take a little time off the constant routine of laundry, dishes, tidying up, dusting, vacuuming, to do something with the kids, I feel overwhelmed...do you ladies have any tricks to help you get it all done??  All that plus we get an amazing amount of papers into this house-newpapers, notices from my kids' schools and homework type stuff, mail...it's crazy.  I try to sort it, file it and recycle it as fast as I can but it always seems to build up so quickly.

Can't really ask my hubby for more help...he works night shift every day of the week and sleeps most of the day and I guess I feel it's not fair to say, "...hey you have to help me clean rather than spend time with the kids."  I just would like to more organized & not break out into a sweat when someone comes to our door....lol! :) 

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
fairchildmama
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM

i have my kids help. i make a game out of it like today we went outside and picked up the trash in our yard and i told then who ever gets the most gets a dollar. my kids are little as well the oldest is 3 but he thinks if he gets rewards cleaning is fun. so they willingly help with laundry, picking up there room, "dusting" sweeping mopping even though i have to go over it we still all have fun together and it makes it fun for us all instead of me being overwhelmed with the dishes and such. as far as the paper work im in the same boat i maybe get through everything once a week to get rid of trash mail and get everthing orginized. i need to get a file that way at the end of the week i can put everything away in it instead of just putting it in a bag to make room for more...i usually dont complain at the hubby because i know he works all day so this can be my job but i do ask him to take out the trash put his clothes in the dirty clothes and atleast put the clean ones up as well as rinse his dishes since i do everything else

htreveth
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM
For me, it is a constant, everyday maintenance. Laundry two to three days a week. Same as vacuum. Everyday I tidy up and put away things so there is no clutter. Everyday there are dishes- that never stops. Once a week I do the bathrooms. Sometimes more if needed. If something looks dirty then I try to clean it right then. It piles up fast if you delay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SFerber
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM

While you have littles...it is not really the number one priority.  But I totally feel you about it causing stress. 

Love some of the suggestions already given.  Here is to you and your family and to many wonderful memories together.

Maureen-MD
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

What people have told me is to "schedule" 1 room a day. Monday - dining room. Tuesday - Living Room, Wednesday - Kids Rooms, Thursday - Kitchen.....

Of course somethings like dishes have to be done daily

TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

At what point in the day do you get to say, "Ok, I am off work.  I am just going to relax and let someone else do the work and take care of the kids?"

Maureen-MD
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

also, when it gets really overwhelming....like an over-scheduled social weekend...I find that tackling a big job in small steps works great. Like the kitchen is trashed from cooking/cleaning for a family dinner or holiday being hosted at someone elses home.

I start small. Like let's clean the table, then the table looks so good it motivates you to clean off the stove, and then the counter and so on. I always sweep the floor last so that way any mess from the table/counters doesn't mess up the clean floor

mollyk124
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM
I just make sure it's clean when I leave in the morning and clean before I go to bed. I do dishes at night before bed and throw in the laundry before I leave for work. I usually mop first thing in the morning before everyone else is up and clean the kitchen while I cook. Any other time, If something is out of place, I pick it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Before dd came along,I had high standards about house keeping.I have had to lower my standards over the years.In my mind,if I sweep the floors,clean the glass in the front door(doggie drool and hand prints on it make me crazy!),laundry is done and paper piles are under control,I feel like its "good enough".You just have to find your own "good enough"standard.On days when I want to get stuff done in a hurry,I set the kitchen timer for 15 minutes and clean the bathroom or whatever needs to be addressed.If I feel like I have to play "Beat the Clock" I tend to move quicker ,focus on the task at hand and get less distracted.

in love                           blowing bubbles               puppy

Nathan & Tracey 06.12.99             Grace 10.10.03            Jonas 08.28.10

bellaamore
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM
If the kids are tiny, it can be hard to keep up without help, but as soon as they are old enough to play outside, i send them out and then clean.

Otherwise, clean during nap time.
mrs.seri
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM
4 moms liked this

I have 4 kids, and I swear, sometimes it's impossible to keep up:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN