Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you keep your house tidy so it does not overwhelm you?

Posted by   + Show Post

With 3 little kids and a hubby that works all the time, I do everything around here and it feels overwhelming sometimes...if I even take a little time off the constant routine of laundry, dishes, tidying up, dusting, vacuuming, to do something with the kids, I feel overwhelmed...do you ladies have any tricks to help you get it all done??  All that plus we get an amazing amount of papers into this house-newpapers, notices from my kids' schools and homework type stuff, mail...it's crazy.  I try to sort it, file it and recycle it as fast as I can but it always seems to build up so quickly.

Can't really ask my hubby for more help...he works night shift every day of the week and sleeps most of the day and I guess I feel it's not fair to say, "...hey you have to help me clean rather than spend time with the kids."  I just would like to more organized & not break out into a sweat when someone comes to our door....lol! :) 

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM

With mail, I bring it into the kitchen and immediately throw away any junk. Newspapers get tossed as soon as they've been read. Toys get put away when the kids are done playing with them. Dishes are washed after every meal. If you keep up on everything, it won't be so overwhelming.

auntiekiss
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM

This could be my house Amanda471!  Lately I have been taking a break from the normal routine of picking up and the tasks have piled up.  

I guess what has helped me the most is just realizing that spending time with the family and resting is just as important as keeping a tidy house.  

I also break up my chores of focus on one or two rooms a day and then move on to another room after those are picked up.  Heavy cleaning is a scheduled thing for me...I have to set aside time without kids and hubby in house to do this.  And honestly, I don't do it very often, maybe three or 4 times a year.

You could just ask for your husband to pick up his own mess, like papers, clothes, etc...so the piles don't get over the top.  

Try not to worry to much about the hosue being perfect or even looking perfect.  Your a mom, wife with little kids...the world will love you even with dirty clothes on the floor :-)

rawzle
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM

BUMP!

tessiedawg
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM
I find that I do a couple of key things my house is way easier to keep tidy they are:

Put clean dishes away while having morning cup of coffee. (That way dirty dishes go right into dish washer and kitchen stays clean all day)

Make the bed. Make sure kids make beds before school. And leave a tidy room.

Do at least one load of laundry per day. ( This means folded and put away too! Make sure kids put their own folded clothes away and put dirty clothes into laundry basket)

Try to vacuum before leaving house. (I keep baskets in living room and bedroom for youngest's toys to keep floor clear)

Keep disinfectant wipes in bathroom. A wipe down keeps things sparkly between cleanings.

Empty trash before bed.

My house isn't perfect, but its always presentable. One task flows easily into the next and if you find your own essentials and do them most of the time you wont be overwhelmed and if you miss a step once in a while things shouldn't collapse! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tessiedawg
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:24 PM
I reread your original post and feel I should add: Things will never be as neat when you're not doing all that stuff, the trick is to not let it go for too long and to not put tidiness above doing cool stuff with your kids. Playing a little catch up even once a week is worth it. You sound like a good mom for worrying about it in the first place. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
extremelibrary
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I know how you feel.

BeachMommy07
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Throw stuff out. I'm not joking. Get black garbage bags and start either donating to Good Will or throw it OUT.

karamille
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Start delegating.  My husband works 7 days  a week too, but he still have a few weekly things to do.  Folding 4 baskets of laundry a week while he watches TV.  My 5 yr old knows how to sort laundry and run the washing machine, and my 3 yr old feeds the cats and puts away all toys in the living room. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM
I have to break it up too over the week or I'd go insane!

Quoting my4boys2002:

I do 2 rooms each night
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themissheather
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Our apartment would be cleaner if my husband didn't live in it. He's on the lease, though, so I'm stuck with him :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)