Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you keep your house tidy so it does not overwhelm you?

Posted by   + Show Post

With 3 little kids and a hubby that works all the time, I do everything around here and it feels overwhelming sometimes...if I even take a little time off the constant routine of laundry, dishes, tidying up, dusting, vacuuming, to do something with the kids, I feel overwhelmed...do you ladies have any tricks to help you get it all done??  All that plus we get an amazing amount of papers into this house-newpapers, notices from my kids' schools and homework type stuff, mail...it's crazy.  I try to sort it, file it and recycle it as fast as I can but it always seems to build up so quickly.

Can't really ask my hubby for more help...he works night shift every day of the week and sleeps most of the day and I guess I feel it's not fair to say, "...hey you have to help me clean rather than spend time with the kids."  I just would like to more organized & not break out into a sweat when someone comes to our door....lol! :) 

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (51-60):
Weddle
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM
I have 5 kids from 11-5mo and I can never keep up with everything it drives me crazy. Wish I could help ya¬° But I just wish I could glue everything n place and look at them all and say na
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM

My kids are 5 and 9. They mostly stay in their rooms and I never let them bring toys out of their rooms. It never gets messy that way. 

I pass the Swiffer vac multiple times a day. Beds must be fixed before you leave your room in the morning. Clothes must be in the hamper or they will not get washed. My 5 year old loves to use the Swiffer duster so she does that multiple times a day....lol. Mostly on a daily basis all I have to do is wash clothes. DH does dishes and DS is responsible for emptying all trash cans in the house. 

JTriches
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Momma, Make a house rue.  House rule.  If you take it out you put it away.  If you touch it it is your responsibility.  Get everyone a stand up mesh bag for toys and one for dirty clothes.  Then tell them if you find their stuff you are giving it to charity.  Put their stuff in a black garbage bag til it goes to charity

Amanda471
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Quoting mrs.seri:

I have 4 kids, and I swear, sometimes it's impossible to keep up:)

That is hilarious and SO TRUE!!

callysmommy
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Trick is hiring a babysitter once or twice a week so you can get stuff done
uriahadel
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Oh she does her after putting her kids in bed at 7... but during the day each child has chores and they clean up behind themselves, and her house looks clean. I mean it is not spotless but it is not dirty either. Any parents with kids are not going to have a spotless house, it is just how it goes, and we as parents need to get use to that. I use to hate it but when my sisters told me about what they were doing to keep from being under so much stressed, I started it and it feels so much better. My living room is always cleaned up for guests, but the other rooms, I clean up when it is their day. I also have rules, all toys must stay in playroom, and all food and drinks must stay in the kitchen. Each child must pick up behind themselves. Even my 2 year old is learning that now.
Once you realize most of the mess is caused by your kids, then start a rule, they must always clean up behind themselves, and it doesn't hurt either to give them chores. It teaches them responsibility and it helps you out.
My oldest has chores. She picks up and put away whatever is in the livingroom, her bathroom and her bedroom. She does get reward for doing it, but it also helps me out a lot.

Quoting lovingmommywife:

I spend 30 min every morning also and the house is a mess by noon.

Quoting uriahadel:

My sister has 8 kids and she has a 30 minute rule a day. She spends 30 minutes cleaning up whatever she can that day and she won't do it again until the next day. Her kids also has chores so it isent just all put on her

Quoting mommieof:

Here's my advice and it works well, I'm a mom of 4 and that includes almost 2 yr old twins that make a lot of mess lol. I work full time from home and have the kids here with me but my house is always completely spotless (no exaggeration) I tidy up every morning after breakfast, I'll wipe down counters and bathrooms vacuum carpets and tile floors also I'll mop every other day and it never takes me more then 20 minutes a day to keep it tidy people trip out on how clean my house is for how big and how many kids I have but if you dedicated 20-30 minutes a day to it then it should never be dirty. I do follow the no food or drinks outside of the kitchen rule and all toys are to remain in the kids rooms these rules help A LOT!!! I also make the 2 older kids keep their own rooms clean and they get $5 a week to do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kestl
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Your more ahead than I am, we both work full time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shelley927
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM

i understand that it is overwhelming but make it fun and have the kids help you whether it is done right or wrong...it wil teach them to clean and stay tidy....

amazzonia
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM
When they want to play with a new toy, they have to put the old one away, and let them help you. Cleaning, even if they don't do anything you'll interact with them while you get something done
sparkina13
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN